G5 dual proccessors?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by believo, Sep 15, 2004.

1. believo macrumors regular

believo

I'm pretty new to dual proccessors. How much does a dual G5 help programs like photoshop, illustrator, etc compared to a single G5 of the same speed?

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

http://www.barefeats.com/g5.html

If the applications take advantage of the second CPU, and the ones you listed do.

Then then the 2nd CPU can have an impact, especially if you spend all day working with those apps.

But, if you do spend all day with those apps -- you'd also want to have the extra memory capacity of the PowerMacs vs. the iMac G5 (since having too little memory can have an adverse impact.)

3. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Speaking of RAM for the dual G5, I'm gonna get another GB next month. Damn, I should've bought the Dual 2.5. Rendering feels "slow" in PS.

4. believo thread starter macrumors regular

believo

i'm considering a dual G5 1.8... i currently use an eMac G4 1.25 ghz, 1 gig RAM and someone has offered to buy it from me for almost what i bought it for a month ago... so I'm curious as to how much difference there will be in the two machines (besides expandability) if I upgrade.

5. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

At the least, it will be 25% faster in raw clock speed. Then factor in the bus, which is about 6 times faster, and the faster RAM, plus the second processor... you're looking at a nice little speed bump :D

6. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

AFAIK, even OsX takes advantage of dual processors. I was looking into a dual 533 G4 when I bought my PM, and the price over speed advantage wasn't there, unlike the new DP G5's. My Single 667 out performs the dual 533 in X-Bench, so there was no real advantage of dual processors over the single. The G5's on the other hand, have a higher bus speed,t he faster the CPU gets, so with a 1.25 gig Bus in the dual 2.5, the speed advantage will be huge, compared to the 1.8 or 2.0.