G5 Dual Processors

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by raincoat, Apr 29, 2005.

1. raincoat macrumors member

raincoat

Here's a Tech question for you...

Does a PowerMac G5 Dual 2.7 have two 2.7GHz processors or two 1.35GHz processors?

If it has two 2.7GHz processors, does that mean that it can process at 5.4GHz?

If its two 1.35GHz processors I am again slightly confused..

If Apple sell a single 1.8GHz PowerMac, why cant they stick two of them in to a PowerMac to make it a dual 3.6GHz PowerMac? What's holding Apple up with the advances in speed? :rolleyes:

2. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

2x2.7GHz processors. But you can't add the two processors MHz together like you have questioned.

3. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

The 2.7 has two 2.7ghz processors, each running at 2.7ghz. You don't add them together to get a total processing speed. The subject's discussed in more depth on this recent thread.

As for what's holding Apple up? That'll be the company who actually makes the processors – IBM.

4. Cuckoo macrumors 6502

Maybe a little ananlogy:

Riding a bike, a man can ride about.... 20 miles <let's say>

If you would get his twin and set them both on a tandem.... well. you can't just assume that together they will drive 40 miles

<and i know this analogy goes wrong in many aspects but i hope it gets the point across adding a processor doen't add the speed of the computer....>