G5 Dual Quad 2.5Ghz – Processor swap

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by 5150SS, Jun 24, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

I was recently given a non working G5 dual 2.5ghz machine. It is a quad core machine with the Delphi liquid cooling system. After some investigating I found it had a coolant leak. All the fans and lights come on as well as the bootup “chime”. I think (hoping) that the motherboard and power supply are still good. My question is this:

Can I use different processors on this motherboard? Lets say a dual 2.5ghz non-quad core processor assembly. Am I making sense? I am very new to the Mac world and would appreciate any help on this issue.

Thanks

2. macrumors 68030

FF_productions

No, just won't work. The G5's are very sophisticated and damn near impossible to swap processors.

3. macrumors 6502

If it has no Applecare your out of luck.

Apple doesn't even bother repairing G5's any more, they just give customers brand new Intel Machines.

Tracer

4. macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

No. The G5's aren't remotely anything like the G3/G4 or Intel machines. You can't even swap a CPU of the same model and speed without the firmware freaking out, swapping a CPU from a different G5 generation is not possible at all.

5. macrumors regular

apple's planned obsolescence stategy wouldn't let you get away with that one... :D

6. macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

You can't swap cpus in a g5? I thought you could, it was just hard to find cpus because everyone is using them.

7. macrumors 6502

The motherboard FSB is directly linked to each processor, so unless you get the same module (read: insanely expensive) it won't work.

Tracer

8. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone! That's what I was afraid of.

9. macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

You can always buy a g4 or something, gut the bad g5 and jerry rig the g4 bits into it. Have a really sweet looking g4. :D

10. macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Take it to Apple.

Dont screw inside of it, just tell them that it was leaking coolant.

I'm pretty certain they'll most likely repair/replace it for free, as those kind of liquid cooling systems arent supposed to leak.

11. macrumors member

Really? Apple's customer support is that awesome?

12. macrumors newbie

what ever happend with this?
    mine did the same thing

13. macrumors 6502

I don't know what happened here, but you might find this to be of interest.

14. macrumors newbie

wow thats great! thanks for the reply!!
    I hope that happens. I called apple yesturday hoping for something like this.. and that gives me a great hope! thanks again.
    have a great day! :)

15. macrumors member

Chances are, if you had a coolant leak then there might be more damage than you think. You can swap out the processor but you are very limited in this area. You cannot use a G5 Quad Core processor on your current motherboard, but you can use a good Dual Core 2.5 G5 processor or even get a 2.7GHz Dual Core G5 processor but that's pretty much it. Finding one shouldn't be too hard if you are patient and search on eBay.

If swapping out the processor with a "known" good processor doesn't fix your problem then look at getting a replacement motherboard or new power supply.

My Dual 2.5 GHz PowerMac suffered a coolant leak and I was lucky because all I had to replace was the power supply to fix mine.