G5 DVD tray gets stuck when opening, ideas?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Namomo, Mar 7, 2004.

1. Namomo macrumors newbie

Mar 7, 2004
    I just got a new dual 2ghz G5 (should have bought lottery tickets the same day I talked my wife into that!) and I got it with the combo drive because I had a Pioneer 106 in my G4 already that I was going to use in the G5.
    Everything in the switchover went smoothly until I tried to insert a disc, the drive tray gets stuck on the top of the opening! I can get it open manually (gently pulling down from the sides of the tray) but for the life of me can't figure out why the drive sticks against the case. After all it is the same drive that would usually come with the computer. I've checked the drive pins and all is correct, it just seems to sit just a hair high. Weird.
    Anyone have this same problem, or any ideas to a solution?

2. Dippo macrumors 65816

Sep 27, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    I haven't heard of anyone having such a problem.

But since you just bought it, you might want to call Apple and see what they say. No sense in screwing up your new G5 trying to fix something that you didn't break.
  3. Opteron macrumors 6502

Feb 10, 2004
    South Australia
    I'd say take the can of coke out and it should work fine:p

Honestly though, your computer is new and shouldn't have any problens like this. Take it back and you should have no troubles getting it replaced.
  4. bluetrepidation macrumors member

Feb 26, 2004
    So you switched drives and this other drive is getting stuck at the top? Hrm..... I'd check to see if it is positioned low enough in the bay for the cd drive. If that's all good and there is no way to adjust that then I'd just take a Dremmel to the top of the CD tray and shave it down a bit. HEHE I love modds.

5. gorkem macrumors newbie

Apr 7, 2004
    I had the same problem on a brand new dual 1.8. Luckily I was able to fix it. I had no energy left to drag that 29 pound beast back to the mac store.
    In my case I had to raise the rear of the drive just a bit so that the tray could go thru the opening. There are small black screws at the bottom of the drive. Loosening the two in the rear a bit helped raise the rear of the drive.
    It is very embarrasing though for Apple. I guess they dont test if the drive opens properly before each G5 leaves the factory. Or, perhaps the drive was installed at the SF mac store.