G5 dvd woes!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by kiemposan, May 19, 2005.

1. kiemposan macrumors newbie

My company recently (last month, then they brought the 2.7's out, typical!)invested in four new G5 dual 2.5 macs with 2.5 gig ram in each, some running 10.3.9 and some running tiger.

They are all having the same issues with burning DVDs. We have encountered the dreaded sense key error on all machines using Toast (Various verions) under osx and classic mode, leading to very erratic success, even when writing at the lowest speed.

Similar problems have occurred when trying to burn data using disk utility, often the dvd will show up as burnt successfully on the drive but will not load when put in another mac, the finder sees it as a blank disk - strangely the disk will show up on one of our powerbooks and my home G4!

I have also tried using Tigers burn folder utility with the same issues arising. the drives we have installed:

SONY DVD RW DW-U21A:

Firmware Revision: AADB
    Interconnect: ATAPI
    Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipped/Supported)
    Cache: 2048 KB
    Reads DVD: Yes
    CD-Write: -R, -RW
    DVD-Write: -R, -RW, +R, +RW
    Burn Underrun Protection CD: Yes
    Burn Underrun Protection DVD: Yes
    Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO
    Media: No

The dvd's we use are ones provided to us by a professional authoring house which they use to distribute on. We have tried differnt media with high faliure rates!

We really need some help on this, so if you can think of anything please post.
    thanks in advance

2. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

I recently burnt some DV streams to a DVD fr a PC using client. Despite the fact the disks checked out and played on my machines he could see the files but not do a thing with them. It wouldn't even let the files be copied off the usual error stated the file was damaged.
    I'm using a dual 2.5 but I upgraded the DVD drive to the model above yours the 22. I'm currently using Tiger. It just seems very hit and miss at the moment.

3. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

I guess the only thing to do is call Apple....

4. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

I am using Popcorn (like Toast) on my new Mac... I get sense key and media errors as well. DaveL suggested Ritek media, so I'll try that, but now I'm wondering if disks I have burned with disk utility will show up on another Mac. We might be having similar problems.

5. kiemposan thread starter macrumors newbie

I just cant believe that we have invested over 8 thousand pounds in apple hardware and we cannot even write a DVD! ridiculous 4 identical macs and the exact same problems on each.

I have had experience of the sense key issue before, while many people on forums blamed the media for the error i found that the only way to fix the problem was to update the firmware of my drive (my personal G4 with pioneer frive) which can now burn any media with 100% success even the disks that i have been trying to burn at work on the G5's

this sucks, apple will always blame the media on this subject.

6. live4ever macrumors 6502a

7. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

hmm, i had a burning problem too (think I still am with Toast), I used a DVD lens cleaning disc and it solved a lot of problems - turned out the burning head was covered with dust! I imagine this can't be the case here.

8. kiemposan thread starter macrumors newbie

If you reffering to my problems with the G5, i dont see how it can be the media if it works fine on my personal G4 and my coleagues powerbook, but we have notified our supplier who are replacing the batch and looking into it. Im sure it has to be something to do with the hardware, but then again we can burn CD's no problem!! what the hell is going on??

9. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Same here. I can burn CD's no problem. DVD's with Popcorn fail. Haven't been successful yet.

10. iYooper macrumors member

Tried to burn my first dvd on new iMac G5. No luck, Tried to burn a CD. Same no luck. Called Apple and they said they'll send me a new superdrive (after the tech led me through the motions I had already done). That was on May 14. It was to be overnighted. I'm still waiting. Called today and Apple Support told me it was backordered due to many requests. Maybe a lot of iMac G5 users are having this same problem.