g5 emacs after imacs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by JLaFrance, Aug 20, 2004.

1. JLaFrance macrumors member

May 24, 2004
    does anyone have an idea as to when a g5 emac would first be avalible? (after iMac, i know) but how much longer? Put it this way, im thinking of gettting an emac, but id rather have a g5 emac, how much longer would i have to wait?
  2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
  3. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    gonna be a while - i'm guessing on the order of years. so i wouldn't wait for it.
  4. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

Feb 4, 2004
    Florida Resident
    Sure, might as well. G5's are suppose to be cheaper than G4s. It's just a supply issue. If a $300 dollar Xbox is going to have 3 G5's, then you might as well have a $800 eMac with a G5. I think of the G4 as the mobile processor now.
  5. Mord macrumors G4

Aug 24, 2003

the emac is not going away grrr arrg it's an education g5 for educators that want a g5 grrr arrg.
  6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
  7. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    never understood this... G5s may be cheaper to produce than G4s, but that doesn't mean G5s will be priced less than G4s, not should they be. prices will be determined primarily by demand. as G5s are more advanced and powerful chip compared to G4s, meaning there's higher demand for such chips -> they will always be priced higher than G4s.

eMac is a low-end Mac, formerly targetted at education market where you do not need the high power CPU. (how much computing power do you need in an ordinary education lab, where the it will be used to type papers, crunch spreadsheets and research on the net?) the time eMac gets a G5 is when G5s have become more of a commodity chip (rather than a high performance chip) so that it makes sense to offer it in the low end machines.
  8. kanker macrumors 6502

Nov 13, 2003
    Yeah, I'd bet that the education iMac model will be the same concept as the education iBook model, only available through the Apple Education Store.