G5 firewire port failure

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by macstudent, May 6, 2004.

1. macrumors 6502

Feb 12, 2002
    Milwaukee, WI

I have a dual 2GHZ G5 and about a week ago my ipod stopped connecting to my computer, but it would still power it. I thought something was wrong with my ipod, but after some troubleshooting I realized both of my firewire ports are dead because my firewire hard drive will not connect to either port either. I plan on bringing my computer into an apple store tomorrow, but I was just wondering if anyone else has had these problems and if so what the solution was.

THanks in advance

2. macrumors 6502

Oct 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I haven't had exactly what you seem to have, but forgive me as use this thread to vent my frustartion with the following:

Firewire: In my case, I can plug in my iPod once, but if I unplug and re-plug, I have to restart the computer for it to see the iPod.

USB 2.0: If the comp sleeps with my external hard drive on, the finder freezes when it wakes up and I try to do anything with the external hard drive. This forces me to use the power button to shut down, a method that I thought was reserved for PCs!!!!!!!!! I also encountered my first system-wide freeze. Everything ceased functioning....That experience is why I switched from PCs!!:mad: (and I'll never go back:D )

Smartmedia: Thirdly, my smartmedia devices aren't read by 10.3.3 unless I turn on the computer with them alread plugged in.

In short, this version of OS X seems to have many troubles with periperals...
  3. SPG
    macrumors 65816

Jul 24, 2001
    In the shadow of the Space Needle.
    We had this firewire problem happen with one of the G4DP867 machines running 10.2 and it was fixed by repairing permissions. It wasn't a hardware problem but actually software.
    In OSX it seems that a lot of mysterious problems are just as mysteriously fixed when you repair permissions.