G5 Firmware update 5.1.5f2, ok I'm lazy

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by zagato27, Oct 2, 2004.

1. zagato27 macrumors 65816

zagato27

Just saw where the G5 Firmware updater ver 5.1.5f2 is available. Actually it came up 28 Sep I believe. Anyway I was doing the automatic Apple update and saw it. Downloaded it and install. Then the instructions come up telling you what u need to do and one item is to remove non Apple Ram. Geeeez, I hate disconnecting all my wires and pulling the box out and taking out my 1 gig of non Apple (read cheap ram). Is it really necessary? Anybody install w/o going through the rigamoralA? Yeah, I know...shut up and follow the instructions stupid. Cheers

2. zagato27 thread starter macrumors 65816

zagato27

Got off my duff...finally

Ok, I got off my duff and did it. Took out my non Apple ram (cheap) and then tried to install. Problem was that my G5 wouldn't boot up. Oh man, was I in a state. Power light was blinking and then the fans started to spin up. Hey, I'm a new Apple guy so it was time to go to the books. Found out that when I took out the ram I actually took out original Apple ram and new ram to figure out which was which. When installing the Apple ram I didn't get it seated correctly. Blinking blue light was telling me this. Reset ram and ran the install then put back my additional ram (back to 1.2 gig) and everything is a ok. Bit of a heart flutter there for a moment though. Should have known that Apple and the G5 wouldn't let me down. Can't tell that there is any difference in performance or sleep. Cheers