G5 For $650

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Dan8302, Dec 3, 2003.

1. Dan8302 macrumors member

Dan8302

2. Kurt Cobain macrumors member

It looks impossible to me,
    With my crappy experience with eBay I'd step off of that deal. I've had lots of people deceive and meliciously mislead me or simply lie. In one case there was a person who sold something incredible for low price and it turned out to be a false bid, since that person's account was hacked and used to sell a mac.

Now that freaked me out.

Maybe those stories will have you think about such weird offer.

3. kanker macrumors 6502

Uhhh.... If it's sounds too good to be true, it is. I don't know if you noticed, but he apparently has nine of these for sale. You can barely pick up a 500Mz G4 for $650- think about it!

PS- He's in England, you are not- and he's got it posted in USD, not GBP.

4. Kurt Cobain macrumors member

I know but i think its literally too good to be true.

5. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    Sounds WAY too good to be true... like when my uncle bought 3 Onkyo ($900 retail) receivers from this guy for $200 each, and he wrapped them up and gave them out as xmas gifts, when we opened ours, there was a cinderblock inside.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yes 9 of them for $650 dollars. [​IMG]

1 question.

If they really wanted to sell them so cheap, why an international transaction?

They'd be able to sell them much easier locally -- and for more money.

Time for somebody to make some money for Christmas shopping.

7. Kurt Cobain macrumors member

Yeah, which makes it suspecious.
    Assuming the shipping would be like a hundred bucks, I still wouldnt trust an overseas deal that easily.

Its incredibley tempting though :S

8. Kurt Cobain macrumors member

there you go..

I almost got an old 333mhz imac instead of a 500 b&w, luckily after i started questioning the girl who sold it. To back up her stupidity she said her uncle works in Apple(r) for over 35 years...

So yeah, too tempting, too unreal.

9. Kurt Cobain macrumors member

on the other hand, the guy has pure positive feedback

10. Dan8302 thread starter macrumors member

Dan8302

Ya, good feedback, but all he has ever sold was like pottery and china, so i think it's BS. But so so tempting

11. kanker macrumors 6502

I just noticed the free shipping in the US on the auction. WOW

12. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    i've only gotten some small stuff, mostly vinyl, from overseas via ebay, but i'd check with your credit card company, paypal or whatever on their policy on fraud, try to get it in writing, and never ever send cash :)

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

But I can see somebody needing 9 PowerMac G5s to keep their knick knack hobby in order.

Could be their updating to Dells.

14. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

There's no way this is for real. He could easily get twice the amount, and it'd still be suspicious, with the free shipping and all. Don't trust the feedback. Many accounts have been hijacked by phony emails going out requesting username/password. I've gotten many myself. Some people are stupid enough to give that info out in an email. Anyways, don't buy it, it's a gauranteed scam. Gauranteed!

15. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

this is true- my parents eachhave an ebay account with excellent feedback and get mnay fake emails asking for ssn and email passwords and the like, claiming to be from ebay. ebay is aware of the fraud and working to correct it.

i shot the guy an email... i'll post his response if i get one...

16. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

I might bid for it since I live in London, but I will ask if I can pick it up. Emailing now, I will let you know how it turns out.

17. Makosuke macrumors 603

Riiight...

Some guy (gal?) who says he's in England is going to sell you nine $1700 computers that can't possibly be more than three months old for $650 each, and ship them to the US for free, but will only accept payment in cash or money order. Sure, that's legit.

(I might add that even economy shipping from the UK to the US should cost at least $100 for a G5, probably twice that.)

They also don't even bother to explain why, exactly, they've got $15,000 worth of nearly-new computers laying around that they're so desperate to get rid of they won't even auction them to get two or three times what they're asking--only a buy it now price of 1/3 that will do. Nope, nothing in the listing but a chunk of text and one image copied form Apple's site.

I don't think I've ever seen a more painfully obvious fradulent auction, and I'd guess it's a hacked account.

If all that weren't enough, why does the seller seem to be specifically trying to sell to the US ("free shipping within the US", price in USD), when they appear to be in England? Maybe because it's a whole lot easier to rip somebody off when they send a money order to another country. They're probably not even in England--some Eastern-bloc country, more likely.

Seriously, if you were trying to sell that much hardware, don't you think you'd maybe ask around locally, where there are probably dozens of drooling Mac users willing to buy them for twice what you're asking, or at least leave the items open for auction where the price would undoubtedly be bid up much, much higher?

18. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Stunning.. simple stunning. I often wonder how people manage to get taken on ebay... it would take a total lack of practicality to fall for something like this.. yet you have people like Kurdt saying its "tempting."

If you think this sounds like a good deal.. go for it. You have to learn your lesson somehow.

19. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

look, it's clearly a scam. There is absolutely, 100% no way you would ever see this computer if you bought it. This is a hacked ebay account; the real owner probably has no idea it's being used for fraudulant sales.

But, if you absolutely must check, ask him to use escrow through escrow.com (accept no other escrow service under any circumstances). Say that you'll pay the full cost of escrow.

Then, sit back and watch the excuses fly as to why he can't do it. "I need the money now," "company policy doesn't allow the use of escrow," "ok, but only with my escrow service, scamescrow.com."

If you want to have some fun with the guy, ask him about escrow. But if you even consider sending one dime to this crook, you're insane.

20. Kurt Cobain macrumors member

a fraud, as expected.

Ladies and gentleman.

Here is what i've got by email from ebay:

there you go:(

21. Kurt Cobain macrumors member

lol, do you really think im that neive..?
    If its a fraud either ebay cancels the bid since I've had a couple of cancelled bids, or i dont pay after contacting the seller.

obviously its a rip off, and I mentioned its too good to be true, as much as its 'tempting'.

22. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

check and mate. :cool:

23. m4rc macrumors 6502

Please, next time people won't take the advice and continue with the 'it's very tempting' line, let them get on with it. There are so many scams on ebay, so many warnings around.

As has been said, the id's are stolen. They are nearly always full of little orders, with great feedback. When you try and bid, you will usually be contacted directly by email and they will try and scam you that way.

Ebay close hundreds of these scams a day. There are some bargains on ebay, but not that good. And as has been said, they could have got so much more for the G5's than that, noway was this ever going to be genuine.

24. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

This is the email reply I got (I asked if I could pick the G5 up):

I'm brocker and I have one contract with UPS.
    The owner of units ask me for UPS and Money Order documents.
    Without this document's I can't take my commission

Thats a new one on me. :D Common ones are, we are a warehouse and dont allow members of the public in, or I wont be in on that day you want to come.