G5, for real?

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by Ifeelbloated, Jul 19, 2002.

1. Ifeelbloated macrumors regular

2. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

3. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

uh, that's kinda old, but it'd surely be nice to have something like that in August... You never know, Apple could be putting the finishing touches on the G5 as we speak :D (or they'll probably just introduce speed bumped G4's...)

4. javadev macrumors newbie

Re: G5, for real?

Hmm, here's a thought... remember the steve jobs quote about having "options" when more users are switched over to OSX at the end of the year. Initially this was interpreted as an indication of using x86 processor (intel/amd). What if instead, it was referring to the G5. The G5 is a 64bit processor, and perhaps sufficiently different from the G4 that they are having trouble getting os9 and classic apps working on the G5, so they have to delay rolling the G5 until enough users, and enough key apps are ported to osx. So maybe what we are waiting for is more a software thing than a hardware thing.

Anyways, just speculation.

-- Rob

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Unfortunately that article has been around since last September, its caused more then enough speculation - its says that the processors are ready for mass production - why haven't we seen it yet? I think its more than an issue of compatibility with os9.

6. javadev macrumors newbie

yeah, I saw the date on the article. I also saw the mention of osx v10.2 at same time.

I wasn't thinking so much about compatibility with os9 itself, but compatibility with classic apps from 3rd parties. Migrating to 64bit address space could be a bitch if your code wasn't well written... cast that pointer to a 32bit int and back, and whoops, now things don't work. What if the g5 never supports os9... if apple mis-calculated how quickly users and 3rd party sw vendors would migrate to osx, maybe the ended up in a situation where hw is ready or close to being ready, but a lot of the important software won't run on it.

Anyways, just a wild ass guess. I'll have to read up on some of the other hardware vendors who've already made the 32->64b jump (sun, sgi) and see how it went for them

7. big macrumors 65816

big

I bet December 2003 for the G5's, and would not be surprised if G4's went to 1.5 by january

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

considering that we're still waiting to see Quark made ready for OSX, you have a point. Throwing a new processor in the mix that requires a rewrite of code would be a dissaster. It makes sense, but its frustrating all the same that we have to wait....

D

9. void macrumors 6502

i think that the g5 doesn't support OS 9. They're just waiting for the os X percentage to go up so they can unveil it. Apple certainly has the ability to make the g5. They just don't want to piss people off like they did with .mac

10. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

That sounds reaally good but because of its out-of-date status, it's a bit hard to believe...

11. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

The Register is usually a pretty dependable source on these matters, or at least as long as I can remember. It's only a matter of time...

12. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

ha, saying its only a matter of time before we'll see the G5 is like saying its only a matter of time until they find a cure for cancer. Its theoretically possible that it will happen, but there is no guarantee when it will happen.

D

13. big macrumors 65816

big

>Throwing a new processor in the mix that requires a rewrite of code would be a dissaster

My CAD software (engsw.com) had to completely rewrite their initial build for OSX due to it being modified so greatly from 10 to 10.1

I see 10.1 as the Beta, and 10.2 as the REAL deal (final build) there's the baby...

I will astound you with pointless posts later

14. MacMaster macrumors 6502

One more reason that will not happen anytime soon: The plant that will make the G5's, in Germany I believe, isn't even finised being built yet. I read that in an earlier thread and thought you might like to know.

-MacMaster

15. big macrumors 65816

big

are we talking 2004? then I might as well buy now *heavy sigh*

16. MacMaster macrumors 6502

Possibly not...I'm not sure how far along the construction of the plant is, but my guess is that the G5's will be previewed at MWSF and be realeased a month or two later because the plant won't be ready for full scale production of the G5 at the time of MWSF. That's just my guess...:rolleyes:

-MacMaster

17. big macrumors 65816

big

18. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Again it's a RapidIO vs Hypertransport thing - Apple's working with both standards groups.

AMD has sources for hypertransport chipsets and have been sampling since June, they're expecting machines to begin shipping in Q4. Since it's and evolution of the existing bus, it'll most likely be widely adopted - hence cheap.

RapidIO group is just finishing the unified (serial/parallel) specs for the new bus standard - sampling expected in Q1 of next year (meaning machines most likely next summer, Cisco will jump on it ASAP). The RapidIO standard looks a lot like a packet-switched network, which means it'll probably be widely accepted in the data and telecom market first.

And remember Apple typically lags the market in the adoption of major level PC bus & IO adoption.

But then again Apple shipped USB/Firewire far ahead of the rest of the market.

19. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Early January

20. King Cobra macrumors 603

Ugh, that article was indeed from September 17, 2001. And it's from the Register, which is a site of crap, worse than spymac, if you ask me.

It seems like every time someone brings up the issue of G5s, we expect something to come out soon. Unless I see an article that says somewhere in it: "Apple has [officially] confirmed that...G5s...will be available...in [some time]" then there will be no G5 chips. I'm starting to wonder if we will see another round of G4 PowerMacs after the upcoming update (suppose it was August), possibly using the 7500 chips Motorola has planned. (Right, planned...)

I'm just ticked that Motorola has kept Apple so behind like this. I mean, the OS is great and all, but it seems as if the MHz war is not winning people over. I propose the Gigaflops war. Can a $3000 or cheaper peecee perform 15 billion float-point operations in a second? I didn't think so. :cool:

21. Macpoops macrumors 6502

for all you arguing about rewriting code for 64 bit you should read the article again supposedly the G5 runs 32 bit code at full speed. And isn't the G5 already in use in the embedded market by like cisco or something?

22. Gatorman macrumors regular

Let's stir things up....

I think I'll stir things up here a little. Besides, this is a rumor site. :D I think Appleand Mortola have delayed on the release of the G5 because there will never be a G5! They're going to go straight to the G6! Mwa-ha-ha-ha-ha! :D

I know, I know. It's just wishful thinking and a bunch of malarchy. Just thought I'd go out on a limb. :D

23. MacMaster macrumors 6502

Re: Let's stir things up....

Ok let me see...um...no! That was one of the dumbest posts I've ever seen! Gatorman I know you're a newbie here and so am I, but you shouldn't post dumb things like that. Maybe there will never be anything named G5, but they will not just jump a number.:rolleyes: I'm not trying to start a flame war here so don't jump on me.:eek:Your limb just broke.:D

-MacMaster

24. big macrumors 65816

big

>but they will not just jump a number

I was just thinking that maybe they will not actually call the release after the G5 the G6,

maybe they will realize they have already maxed out the G5 processor (8000 series) and will immediatly stop jerking us around and give us something better...

however, I bet I'm the first one to order the new dual 1.6ghz when released

or maybe they'll just go broke, I'd like to hear of what you think that would do to us

25. MacMaster macrumors 6502

G=generation

Remember all, G=generation. So far there have been 4 generations of processors.
    1. 680XX (whatever that series was)
    2. 601, 603, 604(I'm not sure if there was a 602)
    3. the 750 chip commonly known as the G3
    4. The 74XX chip commonly known as the G4

If apple went broke I might as well just die...My life would end...I would be tossed into the endless void of PC land...under the rule of the evil empire microsoft...ok I'm done now:D

-MacMaster