G5, G4, and Gigawire

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by modyouup, Jan 18, 2002.

1. modyouup macrumors member

Jan 18, 2002
    I personally don't think that the G5 will be that much faster than the G4 and the only reason I'm waiting is because of Gigawire. I remember when I was left in the dust after buying a PM 6500 and a month later everything's on usb. I think ports are very important and you should always have the latest which is why I need gigawire because eventually so much stuff will have that port. Anyway the question is, will the new dual 1 Ghz G4's have the gigawire port. I don't think anyone really knows for sure but what is your opinion. If gigawire's on the the new G4 i'm getting that cuz i'm not waiting till 2003 to get a G5.

modyouup :D
  2. pc_convert? macrumors regular

Jan 18, 2002
    I thought the G5 was a 64bit implementation of the PowerPC ISA. If this is the case expect it to be real fast:cool: .

Like the jump PC users had from 16bit apps to 32 bit apps.
  3. colocolo macrumors 6502

Jan 17, 2002
    Santiago, Chile
    Remember that for the two newest ports apple implemented, usb and firewire(iee1394), devices existed before they were launched. So i personally wouldnt expect a new port if there is NO device out there to take advantage of it.
  4. cryptochrome macrumors regular

Jan 4, 2002
    I don't think that's actually the case - Apple invented firewire and AFAIK put the ports on the computers simultaneously with the release of some third party devices.

I'm not sure if they were so secretive with the technology though - it was a long time coming. I share your concerns about compatibility of gigawire - but based on what little I've heard it sure sounds like something wireless (although that makes no sense).
  5. colocolo macrumors 6502

Jan 17, 2002
    Santiago, Chile
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but according to what I rememebr, Apple did have a lot to do in the research of iee1394, but it was an approved standard
    - and available in many digital cameras- before it was actually implemented on the mac.
  6. colocolo macrumors 6502

Jan 17, 2002
    Santiago, Chile
    By the way, I personally think Gigawire will be an upgraded firewire port, 2.5-3X the current speed (that's for the Giga part). And I don't expect it to be wireless because of the name as well.

Pure speculations, I hope we will know for sure soon :)
  7. krossfyter macrumors 601

Jan 13, 2002
    secret city
    okay lay out the baiscs for the artist here...
    whats gigawire? n why does it matter?

sorry im new to these terms.
  8. colocolo macrumors 6502

Jan 17, 2002
    Santiago, Chile
    Truth is, no one outside from Apple is sure of what gigawire is. All we know is that it's a registered trademark by Apple and according to the registration (I don't recall the words), it will be some way of communicating devices. So, we assume it's a way to connect peripherals to the Mac, and that's pretty much what most of us agree it is.

But, anything beyond the registration fact are mere speculations.
  9. GigaWire macrumors 6502

Dec 25, 2001
    All this talk is making me feel so popular! GigaWire is:
    1. A wire. else we would have called it GigaWireless right?
    2. Consists of at least 1 000 000 000 bytes.
    3. Is amazing
  10. stagemic macrumors newbie

Jan 13, 2002
    First go to:

Then choose:
    {Trademark Electronic Search System (TESS)}

Then choose:
    {New User Form Search (Basic) }

Enter the following information:
    Search Term: 78082678

Field: Serial or Registration Number

And Submit the Query...

You should get:

"Word Mark GIGAWIRE
    Goods and Services
    IC 038. US 100 101 104. G & S: Telecommunication services; cellular telephone communication; Communication by computer terminals, communication by telephone, facsimile transmission; providing of electronic mail (E-Mail); computer aided transmission of messages and images; communication between computer peripherals and devices; information about telecommunication.

IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: electrical and electronic equipment; computer hardware; computer firmware; computers; computer peripheral devices; handheld computers; telephones, mobile telephones, communication devices; telecommunications equipment and devices; wireless information devices; computer software programs; computer operating system programs; computer utility programs; computer application programs; computer software for the design, development, modeling, simulation, compiling, de-bugging, verification, construction and interfacing of electrical and electronic equipment, integrated circuits, cables and connectors all for use with computers, telecommunications equipment and devices, or computer peripheral devices; parts and fittings for all the aforesaid goods.

Sorry that it is so long hope everyone can find it on TESS...
    AtAT refered me to that search engine.
  11. mischief macrumors 68030

Aug 1, 2001
    Santa Cruz Ca
    A little worm in Apple told me:

1. Gigawire is Wireless.

2. It is related to Airport in technology base.

3. It will be in the case when 4 processor towers come out.

4. It will userp USB for Apple's keyboards and mice.

Believe it or don't.
  12. Rocketman macrumors 603

Re: A little worm in Apple told me:

I think the confusion arises because Gigawire has been used in the past to pre-release refer to Firewire (IEEE 1394) at speeds greater than 400 mb/s. The next two already defined 1394 standards are 800mb/s and 1600mb/s. So it makes sense that gigawire is 1.6gb firewire.

One cannot rule out that they might use the trade name to refer to a higher bandwidth Airport.

My bet? Apple does incremental upgrades since it specializes in CONSUMER machines (hence the whining about lack of super high power stuff).

The next major revision of Macs should at least see 266mhz system bus and 800mb/s firewire, USB 2.0 and whatever airport revision is next, 3? 802.11a iirc.

With all this processor power it is time to help discs catch up with raid everywhere and possibly even solid state discs. Ramdiscs for the rest of us, but with perhaps 10gb addressable.

A friend of mine at Micron quipped that they are now including ram in cereal boxes. Don't laugh, many already have CD's to increase sell-thru and complimentary product sales, and voice generators to produce screams ala Monsters Inc.

You can talk to your computer but it is still a waste of breath.:D
  13. BurntCalc macrumors member

Jan 2, 2002
    Guys, remember what the previous rumors were way back in September? There were rumblings about faster bus speeds, DDR RAM, 802.11a (Airport 2), and an upgraded firewire running at 800mbs. And G5, of course.

All of these are in the works, it's just a matter of when they will be released.

Also, I doubt there will be any press release tomorrow. Apple usually announces that they'll be holding a press conference several days before the actual announcement. This time, nothing. We'll see something in February, I suspect.
  14. Six macrumors regular

Jan 6, 2002
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    they didnt make a hubub about it when the tiBooks were upgraded, did they? i think there will be a release tomorrow, but since its supposed to be a relatively small speed bump, they wont make a big deal out of it... or else there will be a lot of dissapointment.. Gigawire seems to be a big big thing, I'd bet that'd be at something big with lots of flashy advertisement..