G5/G6 Roadmap From Motorola

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by merman637, Jan 21, 2002.

1. merman637 thread starter macrumors member

2. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Come on, we have not even got the G5 yet (could be a year off)!!! Lets not think about the G6.

3. merman637 thread starter macrumors member

doubtful
    if you've read the page you'd see that they already have specs on G5 Chips and seems pretty exciting 32/64 bit processes.....800-2000Mhz

4. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

G1, G2, G3, G4, G5, G6, G7, G8, G9, GX, Gupmyarse, Gwicked, Ggoodbyewindows.

Oh hell, this is one of those crap posts (Mine) that I always complain about!

5. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Well, I read articles that said motorola had G5's running a 2.8Ghz (not many)!

6. Six macrumors regular

G3 only to 450 MHZ? well, they broke that one ;)

7. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

i don't think it should be taken too seriously as an exact roadmap. I mean, if you look closely, you can see that the G4 is shown of having speeds of 1GHz +, whilst the G3 is supposed to be 'up to 450 MHz'. Seems more like a kind of mission statement, with relatively vague and flexible statements. So the fact that the G5 is intended to go from 800 MHz - 2 GHz shouldn't be taken as writen in stone, imo.

8. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

IBM broke the 450mhz barrier,

Not sure if Motorola did. Can anyone confirm?

9. merman637 thread starter macrumors member

well the 1Ghz+ Sure has held true with everyone expecting the 1.2 or 1.3 or 1.4 whatever to be announced tomorrow

10. davidc2182 macrumors regular

hmm interesting details

the motorola power PC roadmap for the g5 says nothing about altivec technology like it does under the g4 heading and in addition it says the next gen of g4 and g5 will be soi technology a technology that intel critizised ibm for coming up with yet now is trying to perfect on its own so it looks like the new chips will really be something seeing as it would beat intel to the punch! :D

oh and since it says nothing about altivec i wouldnt be surprised if big blue is helping develop the apollo and g5 seeing as they dont like altivec in the first place, maybe gigawire is the velocity engine's replacement?

11. GigaWire macrumors 6502

IBM did break the 450 with the G3. The roadmap shown here is over a year old and has made the messageboard rounds probably 20 times by now.

12. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Right, the G5's aren't even out yet and they already have the G6 listed. That's cruel.

13. kungfu macrumors regular

14. nicely macrumors member

G5 on this roadmap is an embedded processor

These G5 specs are not for Apple's 5th generation powerPC. If you'll notice, at the bottom of the roadmap, they list the processor families and their intended applications.

The 8XX, 8XXX families (the G5 and G6) are listed as "integrated processor targeting the Communications and Consumer markets"

and, the 7XX, 7XXX families (the G3 and G4) are listed as "high performance microprocessors targeting computing and high end embedded"

I'm not saying that there won't be a G5 processor for Apple's power mac line in the near future (I want one badly), but the specs on this roadmap are not for our processor...they are an embedded chip