G5 glitchy gaming???

Discussion in 'Games' started by couch potato, Oct 18, 2003.

1. couch potato macrumors regular

I installed a number of games onto the new G5 we got, including UT2003 and MOHAA (not spearhead). MOHAA is having some problems.

In multiplayer, when im walking down a level, this sheet of green goes up from the center of the level. its hard to see enemies through this:( Also, my bazooka randomly disappears, but my hands are still there. then it comes back. these two things happen often. i have the latest patch.

the exact specs are:

2ghz dual
    radeon 9800
    2gb of ram
    osx 10.2 etc...

also, when i tried to install mohaa, it said something like this: "Mohaa requires at least 4,000 k or ram which is not detected on your computer. install anyway?" 2gb is a lot more than 4,000k
    :rolleyes:

so, is this the G5 hardware, or the radeon. my friend had a 9800, and it was glitches galore, plus most of his games just quit on him. i have heard lots of bad things about ati's drivers.

so is this the radeon, the g5, or something else maybe?

2. VegetaPunk macrumors 6502

Hmm I dont think its the G5 but do you know if it was talking about VRAM or RAM... have you had any problems running other apps (something that will use a lot of ram) it might be a bad ram stick if this is the case. if you had bad ram though you computer would be crashing now and then so if your comp isnt crashing you should be fine with this one.

more likely is that its a ati driver issue or an issue with the game itself (since the G5 uses different Architecture then the G4 did then the game might need a g5 patch or something.)

3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Its probably an issue with ATI and their driver for the 9800. Someone in 10.3 should test this (with a 9800) to see if they have fixed it.

4. couch potato thread starter macrumors regular

yeah. i heard macsoft is releasing a G5 patch for UT2003, for optimization purposes. i hope so.

mohaa has had problems on my old 1ghz imac with geforcemx 440. that game is just a graphics mess:(

oh well, just wait and see

5. Golem macrumors 6502

I havent had too much problems so far. Kelly slater Demo was crashing pretty badly but so were a lot of people with g4's. Standard 1.6 with 1.25 gig ram. Shangai xxx Didnt work either but it just didnt like classic. Copyright 1991 or something like that as well.:)

6. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

I've played MOH:AA and MOH:S on a G5 with a Radeon 9800 and Panther. No Problems here.

7. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

Re: G5 glitchy gaming???

It does the same thing on my machine. Except I have a Dual 1GHz MDD G4 with a Radeon 9000. I think it's either a glitch in the program, or an issue with the Radeon drivers.

8. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

Slightly OT, but I get crappy glitches in lighting effects on my iBook (10.2). Is this a driver issue and will panther correct it? BTW it happens in all games (QII, QIII, RtCW,...)

Cheers and good gaming.

9. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Anyone else get a lot of tearing with their G5s? I have a Radeon 9600 Pro, especially noticeable in games w/ the Quake III engine...

10. lewdvig macrumors 65816

Is VSync enabled?

You will always get tearing is VSync is off.

11. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

12. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

13. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Vsync is syncronizing your fps in the game w/ your monitor's refresh rate I believe.

Tearing is usually easiest to see when you're turning in a first person game, parts of the screen look jerky, since they're not refreshing at the same rate. It can look like stuttering...

14. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

15. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Wanna trade?!?

I will trade you your dual G5 for my hardly (only daily) used G3 B&W 400! :D
    No questions asked!

16. Striderdm1 macrumors regular

Striderdm1

Hi,
    i too own a G5 and am having a few troubles. The least of my troubles are No One Lives Forever and RedFaction. NOLF has total rainbow-coloured textures all over the place - everywhere apart from the characters :-(
    RedFaction is fine apart from where bombs or rockets have exploded - here the gfx look like dark-rainbow coloured textures. The game is playable though, as is NOLF, if u can stand a screen full of rainbows! :-(

The worst are : Myth3, Dungeon Siege and Castle Wolf. With these games, i get around 20-40mins of play, and then the G5's screen dies. I use the vga adaptor and the monitor reports an "out of scan range" error. This crash requires a switch off & on to fix, i cannot reboot using the kbd !

So why the above games when Max Payne, MoHAA, AvP, Heretic 2, Ghost Recon and more are all fine..? I doubt it's a h/w fault with the G5 itself. If i don't play the above 3 games, the Mac never crashes and is running 24/7 perfectly!

My Mac is the dual G5 with 1.5gig ram (it isn't a ram problem as these gaming troubles where happening with the stock 512mb) and i've got the standard 10.2.7 os. I should get Panther mid-next week, so hopfully this will update the gfx drivers???

fwiw, performance in MoH isn't quite as good as CW. Even though dual cpu's are enabled. Don't get me wrong, it's awesome and performance is smooth, but CW is smoother - pitty it doesn't last!

Maybe some games will need to be repatched again - for G5 cpu and its other bits? Maybe we should get an Nvidia next time..? Not happy (with the gaming side) :-<

17. Panther Blue macrumors regular

My dad has pretty much the same computer with you, but has less RAM. I begged him to let me play a game on it one time, and I played The Sims. It worked fine, so i didn't see any "all around" glitch.

18. Striderdm1 macrumors regular

Striderdm1

Re: Re: G5 glitchy gaming???

update to this: i've now got Soldier Of Fortune2 and this too plays great for hours. Anyone playing CW, Dungeon Siege, or Myth3 out there on a Dual G5 with ATI 9600?? (for more than, say, an hour)!

TIA