G5 Graphics Card issue...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by _bnkr612, Oct 1, 2004.

1. _bnkr612 macrumors 6502a

_bnkr612

I am starting to have problems on my 1.6 G5 PM. It seems as if the graphics card is not working properly, I see faint lines in apps I am using and fonts are not as sharp as they once were (yes, I have my glasses on).

Do you think it is because of the graphics card (which is the stock one they put in) or my monitor which is a MAG L series http://www.maginnovision.com/product/products-lcd-ms-776.htm

I hope someone knows a thing or two, I may have to start getting use out of my apple care!

Oh, and the fan is getting louder. What the frig?

Cheers
    bnkr

2. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

Sometimes odd lines on screen can be from a logic board going. Start out by running the Apple Hardware Test CD's extended test, and let us know if it finds anything. Be warned, the more RAM you have, the longer the test takes. 2GB of RAM in an iMac G5 will make the test take 2 hours, so be prepared to wait awhile for the test results.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If this shows back up...

http://commons.exittoshell.com/viewtopic.php?t=13

there is some info (just remember to unplug the machine before opening it).

---

The graphics card could be having some problems, if the temp is a little hotter where the computer is -- it could be overheating.

There were quite a few people stopping by when summer first started, seems some cards had a slightly off kilter heatsink -- and/or the stock heatsink couldn't keep up with the GPU slam in dual monitor configs (but there are some decent aftermarkt units around in the overclocker bin.)

Usually you'll see a bunch of color pixels appearing randomly while you're beating up the GPU.

---

Then there were the people who said to check to see if the card is seated, along with the monitor cable (which sometimes works loose.)