G5 Hard Drive a bit loud

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by newt2mac, Mar 15, 2004.

1. newt2mac macrumors member

Just got my new G5 DP 1.8 and after having to return my first one (DOA), this one works great, except the hard drive is quite loud when its processing. It almost sounds "staticcy". Anyone else have similar issues? I have heard loud drives before, but I was hoping the G5 would be quieter.

Thanks!

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Is it a continuous loud clicking noise? I bought a new HD that clicked really loud, and when I took it back, the guy said that it was probably a bad bearing in the motor mechanism. Does the drive access slower than you would expect it too? You might have a bad HD with the Click-of-Death.

Little more info on the noise (frequency, coincides with access or all the time) and it'll be easier to diagnose.

3. newt2mac thread starter macrumors member

works fine

The hard drive seems to be functioning fine. The noise coincides with usage. Everytime I open an app or scroll through IPhoto for example, it shows up.

4. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Is it louder, distinct, and repetitive *click click click click click* (probably about 4 clicks per second or so) noise, or is it more of a really loud buzzing sound of many many many tapping sounds.

5. newt2mac thread starter macrumors member

4 clicks per second

more like 4 clicks per second.. im going to describe it as a staticcy radio station

6. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Sorry to say this, especially since you've already a problem with your new machine, but I think you've got a lemon of a hard drive there. Don't but anything crucial on it, because there's no telling when it might fail. Give Apple another call. I'm really sorry about your inferior experience, but just know that it's far from the norm. :(

Anyone got a second opinion?

7. newt2mac thread starter macrumors member

Just called them

they want me to take it to a service provider to validate its the hard drive. they said they will send me a new one.. Not a big deal to replace, is it? I'm definitely not a hardware guy..

Thanks

8. newt2mac thread starter macrumors member

Or it could be

what do you think? I have the stock 160 GB drive..

I checked the Apple discussion boards and tons of people have the same issue...

9. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Replacing a Hard Drive in a tower is pretty much the easiest thing you can do besides replacing RAM or PCI cards. You unscrew the old one, unplug it, make sure the jumpers on the backs are the same, and pop the new one in. If you are taking it to a service center, maybe they can put it in for you if you are still a little queasy about messing around under the hood.

10. Makosuke macrumors 603

Well... getting it checked if you're worried is always good, although my G5 came with a Maxtor drive (250GB model, though), whis is a lot noisier than most modern drives, and I would indeed describe the noise as a 'staticy radio station' -- that's just the head seeking. If you've used older computers, you're probably familiar with the sort of grinding or cricket sounds hard drives can make (depending on the age, brand, and acoustics of the case), and you'd recognize your current sound as a similar sort of noise.

You might try a couple of things: Open up Disk Utility and see what brand it is; if it's Maxtor, it might just be loud. You can also check the SMART verification from there--it shows up at the bottom of the screen when you have the drive selected, or you can use the little info button. (And if it says "Not supported" under the SMART section, just re-launch Disk Utility--it sometimes seems to get confused, and that always seems to fix it for me.)

For comparison, I added a Hitachi drive to my G5 and made the Maxtor the backup slave (I don't trust Maxtor drives with important data), and I can only hear the Hitachi if I listen very closely. The Maxtor, on the other hand, is quite audible any time I'm doing stuff on it. My recent experience with Seagate and Western Digital drives is similar--that Maxtor makes far more noise than any of them.

11. newt2mac thread starter macrumors member

just checked.. its the Seagate ST3160023AS 160GB Drive....

12. Makosuke macrumors 603

Didn't see this post till just now; if you haven't already, I'd definitely get it checked under warranty--Seagate drives should be nearly silent, if every single recent example I've seen is any indication.

13. briankonar macrumors regular

my G4 ran nearly silent with an 80 GB seagate, I added a 120 GB Maxtor drive, and now whenever I access it it runs like a freaking lawn mower. :mad: