G5 Hard drive holdy-thing question

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by slughead, Aug 12, 2004.

1. slughead macrumors 68030

Apr 28, 2004
    OK so I'm getting my G5 anyway (though not under the terms I wanted *grumble*).

I bought a WD 10k RPM 74 GIG raptor HD (for a smokin price, I might add).

I saw someone else's pictures of the inside of the G5
    (here), and I've noticed two things

1. It appears the drive rail (??) for the hard drives is made of PLASTIC.. will this provide an adequate heat sync for a hot-ass HD? If not, it looks like I can retrofit an 80MM there, I just need to know.

2. It also appears from this photo that I wont have enough cables to put another HD in. Do my eyes deceive me or am I missing something?

Thanks guys
  2. AngryAngel macrumors regular

Jul 12, 2003
    Yes, the rails are plastic, as are the plastic round-headed screws that enable the drive to slide in. There is a fan right next to the drives.
    Look at the bottom of the drive bay compartment. There are two connectors with their top side facing us. They pull out and connect to the drive.
  3. slughead thread starter macrumors 68030

Apr 28, 2004
    Yes but I only count 2 (enough for 1 drive), what about the one I plan to add?
  4. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Feb 23, 2003
    Do you currently have two drives installed in your PM? They only have room for two hard drives.
  5. GUSTO macrumors member

Sep 23, 2003
    I have a qestion.

I have a Dual 2Ghz G5 and tried to remove my HD (HD that came with G5) but I cant get the thing out :( , anyone help?¿
  6. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    Have you flipped the lever? And have you RTFM? It should say in there.
  7. slughead thread starter macrumors 68030

Apr 28, 2004
    heh, I don't even have a powermac yet.

I know it has room for 2, but I bought it with 1 installed. Can I add another one without adding more cables or are the cables included?
  8. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

Jun 8, 2004
    By then look of it, the cables are built in. You just jull them up, and plug them into the drive. I guess it will make more sense when you get your G5.

If I myself had a G5, I would happily open it up, and take some photos, to show you what to do, it wouldn't be a hassle. Maybe someone else could do this, who has a G5. You know, help a fellow user.
  9. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2003
    Home of Al-Qaida
    sigh... if you actually looked, the SATA HD in that G5 already has the SATA data and power cable connected, coming from the top left. The pins and socket you see on the right are factory configuration pins and older 4 pin molex power socket. Current SATA HDs come w/ both mini SATA power socket and regular 4 pin molex socket for compatibility. Right below the HD, you'll see two connectors, those are for the 2nd SATA HD.
  10. slughead thread starter macrumors 68030

Apr 28, 2004
    Demn apple and their custom plugs!
  11. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    There's nothing custom about the SATA connectors on the G5--they're totally standard SATA power and data cables, just well-routed so they don't block airflow or clutter up the case at all.

The drives with "dual" power connectors, like those with leftover jumpers, are likely only a transitional thing, and not all SATA drives even have a molex power connector (the Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 or Maxtor MaXLine III, for example)--the G5-style SATA power connector is the "correct" standard for SATA drives.

The G5 drive bay design is a bit unusual, but as soon as you're looking at one, it's obvious exactly how to install everything, and Apple even built the second set of mounting screws into the case so you can't loose them--they're those grey bumps to the left of the drives in the close-up of the SATA bay above. You do need to remove the bottom drive to pull the top one out, but that's not a big deal.

The temperature-controlled fans, being that they blow directly across the drives laterally, seem to do a fine job of cooling the SATA drives, but if you're really paranoid you can peel the sensor off the top of the SATA bay and mount it between the two drives on the right-hand rail. The fans will run faster than need be, but the drives will be very cool.