G5 Hard Drive purchase questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tveric, Jan 15, 2006.

1. tveric macrumors 6502

Since i got such great answers on memory upgrades here, I thought I'd try my luck on HDs. I'm getting a secondary HD to augment the original 152GB* that came with it.

1) Is there a max size HD I can put in my Dual 2.5 GHz PowerMac?
    2) Will I benefit from a 10,000 rpm drive or should save my $$$ and just go with a 7200rpm?
    3) Who online is reliable with a friendly low price?

Thanks all.

*sure, it's ADVERTISED as a 160GB

2. tveric thread starter macrumors 6502

And since I've been shopping around today, how's the newegg.com store? They seem to have good feedback and reasonable prices on SATA drives, any positive/negative experiences from anyone here?

thanks again

3. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

i think they are one of the best online retailers out there. I have bought many products from them, and have always had top notch service. oh, and the customer service is great, they wil usually return something with no quetions asked.

4. hotwire132002 macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

I second that - NewEgg is excellent. When buying parts, I usually head to either NewEgg or Directron.com - both are excellent suppliers.

As to your questions...

The 7200RPM drive should be fine for almost anything, with the possible exception of something like uncompressed HD video editing. (We're talking UNCOMPRESSED - the pro, $100k camera stuff. Working with HDV - the prosumer grade stuff - will work just fine on a 7200RPM.) Long story short - I can't see any need for a 10k RPM drive.

As to size limitations, as far as I know the G5s will take any SATA drive - no size limitation. (Which reminds me, I need to go get a 400-500GB drive for mine!)

5. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Yeh I also need an HD for my PM G5 (7 gigs left) Tell me if you find any deals. :)

6. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

I have to echo the positive feedback on NewEgg. I've only bought from them once, but it was a flawless experience.

Installing a second drive in a dual 2.5 G5 is a trivial task. I put one in my G5 in just a few moments.

7. tveric thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah, the install will be easy, I realize that. I just needed some tech details on what's allowed, what isn't, and if it's worth it to get the 10,000rpm drive over the 7200. Not sure of the limits of the Dual 2.5 G5s; bus speeds, stuff like that.

8. uaaerospace macrumors 6502

I purchased a serial HD for my PM G5 from newegg. I have no complaints whatsoever and would def do business with them again. The HD I purchased was a seagate 250 GB. Pleased with the HD as well. Very easy installation in the PM. Josh