G5 how soon ??

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by bingimar, Jan 14, 2002.

?

Wait for the G5?

1. Yeeh no question about it!

26 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. NO! why wait when the apple store is just around the corner.

7 vote(s)
    17.9%
  3. I realy dont have a clue.

6 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. bingimar macrumors member

I nedd to buy a new computer with in three weeks, should I wait for the G5 or buy the quicksilver??

2. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Too Soon

Don't count on it before mid summer at the earliest.Even then it'd be too early to produce in quantity in a range of speeds.

3. Unregistered Guest

Seeing how they will probably only release the higher end G5 along with the 1. and higher ghz G4's for the low end, I would wait. Screw it. They will probably have a big delay in shipping. It don't matter.

4. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

there should be an "Indifferent" choice in that poll....

I personally don't need a new tower...but it would make sense to hold out a few months for the new generation rather than spend the money now...provided u can do without until then....

5. usa4jer macrumors newbie

wait a while

either way, something new is coming out sometime soon. whether or not that's in the next three weeks is up to speculation, but it can't hurt to wait. keep in mind though that you're probably not waiting for the G5. the new Apollo G4s will be coming out, maybe before the G5s, maybe with the G5s, who knows. the point is, something faster is coming out sometime soon, and it would suck to buy a quicksilver only to have a 1.4 ghx Apollo get unveiled the day your 867 gets to you. just some friendly advice. be patient.
    j

6. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Waiting for the perfect machine

is like looking for the perfect woman. Not only is it self defeating, but every second of waiting makes you more frustrated.

7. samy85114 macrumors regular

Re: Too Soon

Please do not say that :) I keep in mind that the G5 will come up within 2 month... but i'm also wondering, why are you expecting the G5 mid summer at the earliest. Where did you get that news... well if that's right... well just too bad but i'm gonna buy an iMac right away. Since jan, 7 I was attracted by this beautiful computer but I was also pretty excited by the G5 that was suppose to come up soon.
    Anyway i think i gonna wait for a while, because Apple cannot stay with that range of price with the PowerMac, I can get, for almost the same speed, an iMac, full equipped, also LCD screen included. for probably $1000 less, that's a big difference. That's why I can't even understand why they want to stay in that situation. That's not logic, isn't it???? They just have to change pretty soon!

I hope you're wrong about the G5 :)

8. dantec macrumors 6502a

It will...

come sooner than you think... At least it will be an appollo, I mean look at those iMacs, @ 800mhz, beating the lowest G4!!!

9. OKComputer macrumors 6502

Quicksilver....now? Why?

I wouldnt go putting down a good chunk of change on a quicksilver now. With the new imac sporting the G4 the quicksilver towers are hardly a steal. G5 or not we are going to see speed bumps in the towers. my advice: although any mac is worth the money, wait a while and see what apple has up their sleeve (or just get a new imac)

10. Kid Red macrumors 65816

11. kaisera macrumors member

12. hinkhous macrumors member

the high cost of waiting

there will always be something right around the corner. How long do you possibly think you can stay on the cutting edge? Well if you never buy something the answer is never!! Take a risk! I had a 7200 for 5 years before I upgraded. That machine was the bottom of the bottom. It is one of the 10 worst machines Apple has ever made and it still worked awesome for at least 2 years past its valuable lifetime. Just my humble opinion.

13. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

I totally agree that there will always be a new machine around the corner! However, its not that often that a new chip is waiting to be released. My problem is that I have to buy a computer in the next month or so, I dont want a G4, I want a G5!

14. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Just get the Apollo

From the research on other threads: Apollo is the stopgap to perfect the mobo changes neccessary to accomodate G5. Thus: Apollo will be around Feb. thru Oct. in towers. Best guess so far. Expect big mobo changes, and perhaps USB/FW upgrades to next gen.

15. samy85114 macrumors regular

Not that soon

I would be very suprised to see a G5 within February... My tought goes for a G5 annocement not until April or so....

But, this depend on what Apple gonna release on jan, 22. And we also even don't know if it's true... Could be also possible that on Jan, 22 there's nothing at all, who knows!

You know a rumor still a rumor, there's only the time who will reveal the truth!! I guess Jobs knows it too :)

16. BillGates macrumors member

I'm betting we will all be able to make an informed decision about our next Macintosh purchase after 1/22/02

17. KingArthur macrumors regular

What grade did the creator of this poll get in English? Spelling and Grammer SUCK in this. Learn to write in coherent forms. Thanks. And I bet the G5 will be out MWJuly or later.

18. samy85114 macrumors regular

Who?

King Arthur:

Are you talking about Bingimar??

19. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

Jesus, why not be a ****ing wanker?!

20. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    hahahaha!

:p That's one of the best handles and comments I've seen yet!

21. KingArthur macrumors regular

I am a obsessive-compulsive grammer freak (blame my parents and my logical thinking). So what if I only like things ALMOST perfect. That is why I like Macs!

No offense, Bingimar. It's just the way I am.

22. Unregistered Guest

why don't you first learn how to spell grammar?