G5 iMac, anything but QUIET

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ebook, Sep 24, 2004.

1. ebook macrumors 6502

Well, I posted in the iMac post with joy that my computer has come. But, now that I have it up and running and I sit next to it typing on my iBook it is LOUD. Big time high pitched hum, fan like sound that turns on as soon as I turn on my computer and doesn't go away except when I put it to sleep. This is nothing like the reviews I read or like the 17" model I saw at CompUSA yesterday that had been on for who knows how long. So, what is the correct procedure about getting this thing fixed. I'm afraid I'm not going to have me new iMac very long am I....????

2. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

i can see a major recall.... just what i think.... i have heard three or four guys say it far too loud....

dont... demand a new one... why would you have to get it fixed.... it brand new... they need to sell you a brand new machine not a broken and then fixed one...otherwise your getting a refurb....dont stand for it....

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

oh bollocks....just what I don't want to hear before I even have it :(

4. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

i dont think its all of them,..

some guys havent complained...but one guy said i use a loud pc all day at work and its even worse than that.... if you get one then dont worry...there under obligation to sort it out

5. ebook thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm on the phone now...

I'm on hold with Apple right now. I have just been transfered from the first lady that I got to a new person. I am probably just going to ask for a new computer, but they seem to think they haven't heard of this problem so I hope they don't give me any trouble.

:( as I type this from my iBook and not my new iMac

6. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

Maybe it's just, uh..your ultra sensitive hearing?

Let me ask you this... Is a Ferrari silent?

7. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

The discrepancies in reports about iMac G5 noise levels are a little disconcerting. Here are a couple of links for those who are finding their iMac's a little on the noisy side, link 1 and unfortunately link 2, which doesn't make for good reading.

edesignuk: scant consolation for the rest but it sounds like the problems are more with the 17"ers, depressing link no. 3.

8. ebook thread starter macrumors 6502

Unfortunatly it is not just my ultra sensitive hearing. I'm done talking with Apple now and it sounds like they are starting to hear more about this problem. The guy told me that if it was a 17" model there was something that I could do, but not for the 20" model yet. He was directing my problem to engineering and would get back to me either later today or tomorrow. He did assure me that they would correct the problem either by sending me a user replacable part or a new computer. So, I guess I'm pleased with Apple's service and I can understand there would be a few problems with a first production machine.

9. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

10. osprey76 macrumors 6502

From reading the boards it sounds like they got a bad batch of fans. Your description reminds me of what the fan blades rubbing on the housing would be like.

11. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

I am sure Apple will sort it out for you. No worries....Yet.

12. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

I think the best idea would to wait for the Rev. B's then they can get all of the annoyance bugs out. Has anyone heard about the G5i? Its supposed to be an upgraded processor of the G5. More pipelines, more cache, and faster speed. The reason its G5i is because its not really anything new for a G6 so yeah.

13. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Honestly people if we waited for the Rev B. of every product we would be waiting all the time, and besides even Rev B. usually has problems since they have slightly "improved" upon the interface or design of Rev A.
    Sounds like a bad batch of fans to me.

14. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

While it is possible ebook that you have a defective iMac, you have to remember that the iMac is NOT silent. The fans are on as soon as you turn on the computer. Apple does not deny that fact, and they don't claim the iMac is silent, they claim it is quieter than a whisper. From what I've heard, the iBook is silent, and quieter than the PowerBooks, so maybe you are just not use to having any noise come from your computer. If you expect your new iMac to be silent, you are going to be disappointed. The iMac does produce a low hum/buzz sound as soon as you turn it on, but I don't think it is any louder than Apple claimed it would be.

That being said, it is very possible that your iMac is defective, especially given the other users reports. Without hearing your iMac, I can't say if it is any louder than mine. However, I want people to realize that if you are expecting to turn on your new iMac G5 and have it be completely silently, you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

edit: ebook, I also have the 20" model, by the way.

15. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

Cue people complaining about people complaining. :rolleyes:

16. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

You know what, I'm on a PC and the fans in my computer are loud. But you know what, I don't care cause thats letting me know that the bad hot air inside is getting moved out and cooler air is going inside. Don't worry about petty little hums. Just think that you're mac isn't going to die from the heat. GO MAC'S!!!

17. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

touche peyote, touche.

18. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

its not the same thing with a mac and a pc... what your saying isnt really valid... as they have claimed it is quieter than a whisper.. but if its freaking loud then he needs a replacement...

19. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

The reason its louder is because its spinning faster because of all the heat inside. Put it in a cold cold room, or the freezer if you can spare the room and see if it quiets down. Hmm... put it right in front of an airconditioner. And if that changes something then I've proven my point.

20. ebook thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow, people are thinking I'm over sensitive! I was just about to report that the speakers sound pretty good as good as my externals, but now that I'm to sensitive I just might have to change that! Just Kidding!!

Actually, like I said when I called Apple they seemed to agree that it was a problem and that it wasn't supposed to sound like it did and that they would take care of it. Like I said, I was at a store looking at a 17" model last night and it WAS whisper quiet when I was on the internet. Now, I'm on this one and it is not whisper quiet. I can tell a difference between the two computers and I probably shouldn't be able to.

21. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

how can you presume its spinning faster??? do you know the rpm that it spins at...no do you know how fast his is spinning...no

it could be a faulty bunch of fans,,, it could be anything.. but he says it noisy...

yeah thats it... apple expects you to use it in a freezer...

THE NEW IMAC WHISPER QUITE*

*only in the freezer....

so you havent proven a point at all....

the point is it should be quite (very) a small fan noise is acceptable and it isnt ment to be one all the time its only supposed to come on when needed (like powerbooks)

22. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

Aren't the fans user replaceable? If so then at least you wouldn't have to go without your computer. You would just have to put up with the noise until Apple could ship replacement parts out to you.

23. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

dont worry you 100% correct and you are the only one who knows what it sounds like... but if its annoying its to loud...

24. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

25. bdomz macrumors member

whisper quiet means alot of different things to alot of people, personally I would consider a whisper pretty loud for a computer. Anyone know what the decibel rating for the G5 iMac is when it's at its loudest? Anything that's that close to your ears is gonna make some noise. I've had experience quieting PC's down to damn near inaudible but it takes some really quiet fans, the right kind of case and a super quiet power supply, and even then with the tower under the desk it makes a huge difference than if it was 1 foot from my ears.