G5 iMac or G4 PB for Photoshop and FCE?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ScottN, Oct 17, 2004.

1. ScottN macrumors newbie

Oct 17, 2004
    London, England
    Hi there,

I'm a long time Windows user currently wanting to upgrade my 3 year old WinXP Pro Sony Vaio 1Ghz Pentium 3 laptop.

I've been keen for a long time to convert to Macs but am unsure as to which way I should go.

My main requirements will be a lot of Photoshop work and lots of DV editing (for which I'd like to use FCE rather than iMovie) which I could then burn to DVD.

Is the new G5 iMac good enough for these purposes or should I really fork out the extra cash for one of the PowerMacs? Is the difference huge? (I was planning on upgrading the iMac to 2GB RAM and have budgeted accordingly if this makes any difference).

Would the 17" 1.5Gig G4 Powerbook be a better solution than the iMac? Although I'm not concerned with portability, I am ideally looking for a space saving solution hence the options I'm thinking about.

However, needs must, and if the only way to go is the PowerMac then I'll have to carry on saving for a while :(

2. rogerw macrumors 6502

Mar 13, 2004
    west sussex UK
    if you do the photoshop stuff etc for work, get a powermac

if its just a hobby thing, G5 imac is ideal.

I was thinking of upgrading to a powerbook but seeing the imac (G5) ill probably go for this myself cos it seems good value for the dosh.