G5 iMac Shuts Down

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by spork183, Feb 27, 2007.

1. spork183 macrumors 6502a

Jul 30, 2006
    G5 iMac, ALS, new in May, 2005. Has gone through 2 powersupplies, the superdrive, the hard drive, and a midplane? assembly. The last couple of problems have been the powersupplies. Symptoms include sudden shutdowns that become more frequent until it refuses to start at all, just a second of glowing light on the power button, and darkness.

Replacing the powersupply has fixed the problem the last two times. 2 days ago it started shutting down, again. No warning. CPU temp after the last one was in the 68 range, then dropped down to 53 after a bit of light use.

Any suggestions? Replacing the powersupply again doesn't really seem to be a long term fix. I'm somewhat annoyed...

(it is under Applecare, the powersupplies have been diagnosed and replaced by certified geniuses...)

Running 10.4.8, all updates, 1.5gig ram, Seagate 320gb drive.
  2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

Apr 29, 2005
    San Francisco
    Dude, you named the problems in your post. Its time to fight for a replacement iMac.
  3. eji macrumors 6502

Jun 8, 2004
    Inland Empire
    Wow. I don't know what to say, other than that I'd demand a new machine by this point. Seriously. It's obviously a lemon.

I just got my iMac G5 back from power supply repair yesterday after the shutdown problems, and all's well. So far, that is. I actually get really worried by stories like yours, which suggest that problems like these might recur even after their supposed causes have been repaired if you've been unlucky enough to wind up with a dud unit.