G5 Imac used with Shake and Maya

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by choiceheybro, May 26, 2005.

1. choiceheybro macrumors newbie

May 26, 2005
    Hi everyone,

I'm seriously considering leaving the dark side of windoze to buy my first Mac.
    Because of constraints to both workspace area and funds, i'm looking at purchasing a G5 iMac 20" 2 GHz machine with either 1 or 2 GB Ram.....not sure what size hard drive yet. My concern is whether i'll be able to run both Shake and Maya. From reading several posts, I believe the Dual Processor G5's would be preferred for what I want to do, but I was hoping if someone who has had experience running these on the aforementioned Imac would be able to give me some feedback.
    I have to say I was very excited when they released Rev B with more Graphics and Processor grunt and also all the other goodies such as Bluetooth, Airport, etc. Does anyone know also whether they have fixed the midplane/fan noise problems.
    This is my first post and I look forward to your replies.

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    I have a new 2.0 GHz iMac and its silent - I don't think there are any issues that I've heard about with the new revisions.

As for using Maya and Shake, don't expect blazingly fast rendering times. What are you planning on doing with it? What are the final products? You'd be better off maxing out the RAM, though, if you get one.

3. choiceheybro thread starter macrumors newbie

May 26, 2005
    Thanks for your reply.

I'm going to start studying Digital compositing here in London soon and am looking to make a move into that industry. So for the first 12 months i'd say i would be learning the ropes and after that i'll hopefully be right into it.
    I have a few "shorts" ideas and would love to get those done in the future.
    At the moment i'm doing website design as well using Photoshop, Dreamweaver and Flash.
    I've been thinking about the G5 Powermac because of it's expandibility, but due to the space/funds situation, the Imac seemed to be the way to go. I have a 21" CRT at the moment but it's just way too big. Another plus for the Imac is that it is very streamlined and it wouldn't take over the whole room as is happening now. In a couple of years time i'd probably look at getting the Powermac but not at the moment if I can get away with it.

4. Bozola macrumors regular

Jul 18, 2002
    So close to Redmond, I can smell it!
  5. choiceheybro thread starter macrumors newbie

May 26, 2005
    Thanks for the link....very interesting read.
    I think maxxing out the ram will be the first thing to do.

I'm also hoping there are no compatibility issues between Maya and the GPU.
    Must look at the Alias website.