G5 iMac - when?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by gaomay, Feb 6, 2004.

1. gaomay macrumors regular

Will be buying a new Mac this time next year and wide tells me we can't afford a PM G5 so it'll have to be an iMac. What is everyon'es opinions on :

1. Will the iMac have gone G5 by then?

2. What will the clockspeed be (G5 or G4)?

3. What about the graphics accelerator?

TIA

2. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Re: G5 iMac - when?

I think its fair to say there is a strong feeling that the iMac line needs a signficant overhaul which would include a single G5 chip by 2005. We would all like to see a G5 ASAP, those of us not rich enough for the PMs.

My guess is that it should be at least 1.8 Ghz by then to make it more competative with the PC line, and to handle mum and pop heavy video and photo use under iPhoto etc

As to graphics, lets hope that 128 meg cards are an option, but don't hold your breath.

We also expect a form factor change, possibly to metal like the powermacs...

I sort of hope that they will also shoot for some new innovations, possibly a single slot to make the machine more useful to those who need such things, possibly an inbuilt iSight on the high end models, possibly Bluetooth as standard, new speakers or optional speakers, likely front mounted USB and firewire ports as per G5 PM, likely a form factor that raised the CD slot higher above the keyboard height would be a must given the current problem, and hopefully some new new things we haven't thought of

Jason

3. gaomay thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks - I was hoping for a higher clock, given that the PMs will be at c. 3.5Ghz. So maybe the iMacs will be at around 2.4?

Here's hoping anyway!

4. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i'm looking forward for imac with new form factor & G5 too.
    yeah clockspeed with 2,4 ghz would be cool but i think moer realistic with 1,6 for the low end and 1,8 and 2,0 max for the better ones
    i think form factor will have more similarities to the powermac with the aluminum etc. but who knows ? perhaps big surprises coming this year ?

i hope they bump up the specs of the imac nicely like more usb connectors, better graphic chips, faster hard drives etc.

lets hope for the best

5. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

You can expect an iMac G5 3.5 Ghz no later than 2007.. :) Just kidding..

I have an iMac 800 and it's slow compared to my 1.33 PB, so I think it's due for a refresh. I bet they overhaul the iMac before the PowerBook. You just have more room, well not a lot of room, but more than a PB, to work with.

6. KC9AIC macrumors 6502

KC9AIC

at the very least, apple has to put the power button and a few other essentials on the front side: it's so awfully inconvenient in the back.

7. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

who knows how much room they have?
    look at the size of a iMac logic board. its probably actually smaller than a pbook 17" logic board.

If you ask me the iMac will get a g5 when the pmac gets to 3Ghz. Why? 3Ghz is a landmark for the mac - really - intel is only at what? 3.4? and they are having trouble.

heres what I forsee:

G5 1.8, 2.0, 2.2 (pmac @ 2.6, DP2.8, DP3.0
    SATA: 80GB/160GB (pmac @ 160GB/250GB/350GB??)
    SuperDrive w/combo in lowest and edu. only
    No Optical
    USB2
    FW400x2
    No FW800
    2x User accessible RAM slots.

all other specs stay same.

wadda ya think?

8. ThomasJefferson macrumors 6502

Apple will wait until I cave-in and buy the last G4 iMac. Then, the next week, they will release the new G5. They watch me, you know. The voices tell me its true.

9. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

True about the size of the board. I figured they could enlarge the dome if needed, but who knows.

It's interesting that you bring up the latest 3.4 Intel chip. I read that they are reaching the point that speed isn't making a difference. Architecture in the chip is delivering more speed than adding more clock cycles. Of course, the G4 w/Altivec promoted that and Intel kept increasing speed. I guess they are starting to listen now.

10. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

I say the video gets upgraded as well. There are newer and better GPU's available, the mobility 9700 would do; Apple has been going back to ATI solutions, the current iMac uses Nvidia. I would also expect to see the HD sizes increase as well. 160GB is already an option. In the PM you can have two drives, in the iMac only one. So offering a 250GB drive would not make it compete with the PM. If you have to disassemble the new iMac to replace the drive, they might as well as offer a 250GB drive.

With the cost of gigabit gear coming down as well as the chipsets, they could offer 10/100/1000

11. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

I'd like to think G5 2Ghz minimium for the iMac - it needs a decent hike and by then the PowerMacs will be away

250GB sounds good

128Meg Graphics card option for the 20"

Allow iMacs to run dual screens /spanning, for those of us with spare monitors etc - we may not have PowerMacs but I think if its a software tweak then we should be given it

Optional Keyboard, Mouse and Speakers - stop forcing us to get apples and when we plan to buy a new Bluetooth keyboard, mouse and a better sound system

USB 2 for sure. Front mounted

Yep, I think 512 ram minimuim in two 256 meg sticks. Especially for the 20". So at least 2 slots (which it will have to have to run a G5 anyway). Actually 4 slots would be excellent, like the current 1.6...wishful thinking perhaps but a single Gig on a home machine will soon be standard for everyone and Macs shoudl try and catchup to the home PC market a bit by allowing use of larger amounts of cheaper ram for those using ram intesive applications.

12. evolu macrumors regular

I think we'll have to wait for the next PowerMac update before we see an iMac G5. Mostly because Apple will want to keep the proper performance distance between the consumer and Pro lines.

Of course, the iMac G5 will have to be a redesign as well. Especially with the size of displays slowly swelling (that's a good thing).

I could see the iMac G5 and Powerbook G5 being released around the same time for maximum buzz/ exposure. Both products have temperature/airflow challenges to overcome. The XServe's incorporation of the G5 is a sign that those challenges have been handled. Now it's just a matter of timing....

13. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

well we have talked about this before but its getting ready to rain here so why not.
    I would like to see the pro speakers built into the sides but have them so they can swivel, a bluetooth keyboard and mouse option that can recharge! give it at least a 2.0 G5. put duals in the pro models. It needs better then fx5200 i dont care if ati or nvidea is used but not fx5200. ati 9600,9800 or 5700 from nvidea. I think the airflow aluminum would be good for the base but have a curvy fancy base with those speakers on the end and maybe a ipod port where you can plug in your ipod or at least some usb/firewire on the front. with cheesegrate aluminum and 90nm G5s there isnt any heat problems just widen the base and with those speakers built into it it will have the weight to hold that 20 inch screen.
    Yes i will wait for the G5 Imac and wont buy the G4 imac which is one of Apples worst values at the moment. Emac is such a better investment if you want G4.

14. scdreger macrumors newbie

not till after powerbook...

Apple will not be putting a G5 into *any* of their consumer line until their entire professional line (powerbook) is running on a G5. Just like the imac didn't get a G4 till a while after the powerbook had it.

15. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

well if they dont get going sales will tumble, we know marketshare just went from 3.5% sold to 3.2% . you cant sell non advancing G4s forever and this is what they have been doing for 2 years.

16. evolu macrumors regular

I agree - Apple does need to get moving for sure.

But, until Apple transitions most of it's line over to G5s, we're still going to feel the Motorola lag unfortunately.

The Powermac is definitely a drooler - but that mostly turns the heads of pro PC users, who are more open minded to switching because of performance. But when the iMac moves over to G5 - I could see the average buyer going for a Mac over a PC.

Until now, people who don't know how amazing the Apple experience is think they are paying extra for style while losing compatibility with the PC world (the most common misconception - born in fear and tough to overcome).

17. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

Re: not till after powerbook...

I agree. It'll be a while before that happens. The iMac can still get 1.33GHz G4, and even 1.42. Once that happens, though, they'll be stuck until G5 rolls around.

18. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Well, it's not news, so it's not page 1, not 'really' a rumor, just open speculation.

Macrumors Page 3: Blatant and hopeful speculation.

I think that the best new form factor would be a Cube tipped on it's side so that the slot optical was on the front. Tip it back a little bit, and design the new monitors to slip into a slot over the front so that it is interchangeable/upgradeable.

19. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Thats pretty silly what does imac have to do with Powerbook? the two are different markets and again to cripple one line for the sake of another line that is sold for a total different reason makes no sense. Am i going to carry a 20" Imac around? This is 1 example of Apple being stupid and low sales of Imac LCD show this. A lot of people dont want or need a portable but do want a fast all in one machine. Just as a lot of people dont want a gigantic and heavy Protower with 2 cpu's but do want a fast single cpu with a good video option. Apple has closed a lot of doors with this marketing. They should build the best machines and let the market decide which is the most succesful. If Apple ever gets over this crippling crap the sales will skyrocket. Emac is being crippled and we all know it, why? because of Imac which is crippled because of powerbook. all of this is stupid and declining marketshare proves this.

20. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

hmmmm, I don't really think that the iMac is being held back because of the PowerBook right now. I think that Apple is (as I think even some Apple reps eluded to) going to be releasing a new enclosure, and that the iMac will get a significant boost soon, probably to G5. All of their iMac R&D is going to the new enclosure stuff, the current one is not being worked on as it is going out the door very soon.

21. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Stoid i hope you are right, if Apple wants to get back to selling millions of imacs like they did with Imac crt they will have to do something.

22. evolu macrumors regular

The iMac is a signature Mac product that morphs with technology - First all in one computer, then integrating CRT tech...

The next redesign will be interesting. I don't think the upgrade will be limited to just G5.

Not a huge leap - but I speculate that some technology will be outwardly visable and incorporated into the design. I'm sure it's too early for OLED tech, but something as outwardly noticable.

23. mms macrumors 6502a

Yes, the iMac is not in the PB's market, but it is a consumer computer, and is less of a priority compared to the professional line PowerBooks. There will be many people complaining if the iMac gets G5 processor before PowerBooks, and I think Apple is trying to avoid that.

There will most likely be a complete redesign, and Jonathan Ives will have something completely new and revolutionary to wow the world and make us be glad we are Mac users. However, it will not be metal, since Apple has made a clear distinction - professional computers are aluminum and consumer models are white.

The iMac, as previously mentioned, has arguably been the most groundbreaking computer that Apple has made (with the exception of the first Macintosh) even though it is not the top of the line computer. The CRT iMac was a first in that it came in a bright color with a translucent case design, a huge leap from the beige PC's and Macs prior to that time. The LCD iMac was one of the earlier ones to bring a high-quality screen to the consumer market, and its design is famous, even among the general public. Its distinctive form factor is eye-catching and truly shows Apple's spirit of innovation, as a leader of the computer industry. Hopefully, the G5 iMac will be as great and impressive as the G3 and G4 iMacs.

24. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

only thing holding Back the imac lcd is G4 and fx5200. also look at the ipod made of plastic and the new mini( which i like better) is aluminum so why not a aluminum imac?

25. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

What I find very annoying is that Apple seem to artificially keep the iMac performance down and so it really suffers when compared to the PC world which always sees faster chips in desktops versus laptops for middle to high end machines. The iMac should be a middle machine and so in my humble opinion :p have specs up with the PowerBook assuming its not a huge cost issues else you fail a market segment for some sort of weird symmetry that is entirely Apple designed...