G5 in MWSF 2003?

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by MacManiac1224, Aug 1, 2002.

1. MacManiac1224 macrumors regular

Oct 21, 2001
    I just read this article about IBM's new semiconductor chip plant:

It says that it will be in full production in Feburary, this could mean that Apple might release thier next generation chip in MWSF, based on the IBM Power architecture, and it will be shipping in Feburary. I think this is very possible, what do you guys think?
  2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    This story was floating around, but from another source.

The specs on the plant are impressive - The 140,000 square feet facility features a highly automated manufacturing line powered by more than 1,700 processors , each operating at more than 1 GHz and accessing more than 110 terabytes of storage, according to IBM.

but they also mentioned that it won't be running at full production until Feb '03 - so whether or not we get a G5 from IBM, it probably won't show up before then.

3. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    perharps this time next year we can see g5

...but how can it be mwsf in january 2003 when we still need to see the latest apollo g4's that are rumored to go well above 1 ghz
  4. Geert macrumors 6502a

May 28, 2001
    I don't care how they name them.
    I care they can name the new chips H1 or whatever, I only hope that they will be worth their name 'pentiumcrushers'
    But let's face, what are you with a superfast chip if the rest of the hardware does not support it (intel's first P4-chips had the same problem, rest of the hardware wasn't ready for such fast chip)
    Therefor, Hypertransport, rapid IO, DDR systembus, would be very welcome as well.
  5. j763 macrumors 6502a

Nov 25, 2001
    Champaign, IL, USA
    i think we'll be waiting for a while for a g5... probably about a yr IMO
  6. G4scott macrumors 68020

Jan 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    MWSF is too early. We will have had new powermacs (which will arrive in a couple of weeks :D ) that aren't even half a year old. MWNY sounds more plausible. Besides, many sources are saying that the G5 won't be out in early 2003.