G5 in PB

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by iEric, May 15, 2004.

1. macrumors 6502a

I'm wondering...Do I really need a G5 laptop? Because I'm not doing anything with graphics. All I do is type up papers, search the web and listen to music and sometimes I run VPC.
    Would a G4 17" 1.50 Ghz w/ 128MB Video ram be good to last me 3/4 years?

2. macrumors 6502

Sounds like a 12" iBook would be plenty, IMHO.

3. mms
    macrumors 6502a

Unless you play games or some other graphics intensive things, I don't think you'll need to pay extra for the 128MB video card. I agree that the G4 iBook would work well, or if you want a PowerBook, Apple does have discounts on previous generation computers (which would still be more than adequate for your needs). However, I do think that if you plan to resell it after two or three years of use, a G5PB would hold its value better, but I'm not positive on that one.

4. thread starter macrumors 6502a

well in addition for its use on the road, ferry, university, and bus - it will also be a desktop replacement. So i want to get something good.
    Thats why if I do get the 128MB video card..at least it'd match with my DP MDD 1ghz?

I'm thinking of 512 MB of ram, but all the people at MR like to have 700+ MB

5. macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

If I were you, I'd go with the 15". It has all the same power as the 17", but is more portable. You'll be fine with either one.

Good Luck,
    JOD8FY

6. thread starter macrumors 6502a

thats what my sister was telling me to do. I'm probably gonna get that. Thanks :)

I really do not see the need for a G5 for myself. Like I really need Office to open up in .5 seconds :eek:

7. 7on
    macrumors 601

7on

Yeah, my 1 year old tibook (see sig) will be lasting me 3 more years (and I'm a viscom major). A 1.5Ghz of today will last you 4 years, if not more.

8. macrumors 68000

mklos

I hope you don't need a G5 PowerBook because you probably won't get one for a quite some time. I don't foresee Apple making a G5 PowerBook for quite a long time. Anyone who thinks differently is just really doing some wishful thinking. I think instead it will utilize some of these new Motorola processors that are almost as powerful, use far less power, and don't create as much heat. These new G4 Motorola processors look really good for Apple far into the future.

As far as your needs, both the iBook or the PowerBook would be more than enough power for your needs. If you want a fairly powerful laptop then I'd get the 17" or 15" PowerBook with the 1.5 GHz G4 processor in it with the 128 MB Graphics Card. You won't be disappointed.

9. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The G5 has double FP performance of the G4 -- not really but the FP performance is near the Integer performance on the G5, compared to half of it on the G4.

And the FSB is wheezing along and holding the G4 back, meaning the MHz increases are getting rather pointless on the G4.

The G4 wouldn't be bad if Freescale changed the FSB to Rapid I/O, added a another FP core, and bumped the address lines.

10. macrumors 603

aswitcher

I think you would be better off with the faster harddisk (5400) than the graphics card, although given the price you might as well get both. The faster HDD effects almost all the performance issues you will see such as startup time, save times, music burning, swap file/VM access. 128 should improve things like screen spanning for the next few years, quartz developments, use of the occassional game etc

But if its screen realestate you are after the 17 is very nice.

11. macrumors newbie

powerbook

Go for the 15" 1.5 GHz. I would probably get 1GB ram though and not worry to much about the graphics card. I have had a 17" and a 15". I loved the screen on the 17" but it just wasn't portable. If you think that it wont matter it does. I now have a 15" and wouldn't trade it for the world. When i do want a larger scree though I just plug it into my apple Lcd.

12. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks everyone. I'll be getting a PB soon...I just have to sell my 12" and my PM (listed on Marketplace)

Now its time to decide for the 17" and the 15"....
    I really do not know. I mean, it is a desktop replacement. But I do need to bring it in and out.
    I jsut have to go to a store and see. I can't imagine it in my head.

but i'm so happy. I'll get it probably mid-June. I hope Jobs doesn't just suprise us with G5 PB at the end of june....cause then I'd be pissed.

13. macrumors 603

aswitcher

Having had a 17 briefly :( I dont think its not portable. Dimension wise its 2 inches or so longer and a inch wider, which means you need a bigger bag. Its also 0.5 kg heavier -? 2.5/6 to 3.1 iirc. I dont see these relatively minor increases in dimension and weight making it no longer portable. Just get a decent bag, preferably a backpack to help your endurance and I think it should be fine. I will be using an STM Large Loop which has plenty of space and nice comformy shoulder straps. A message bag looks cool but I think after a while the single shoulder weight even with a 15" would be a bit heavy.
    0.02c...which is like 0.014US ;)

14. macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

A 5400 RPM hard drive offers a significat boost to application opening. 52% faster to be exact. (barefeats.com)

15. thread starter macrumors 6502a

YAAAAAY! I'M DECISIVE!

I've decided!!
    I'm gonna get the 17" beceause its only like 175$ more and plus I dont have to miss my 19" LCD that I'll have to sell.
    And also, I am upgrading the video memory because it would be better if I decide to keep this for more than 3 years. Which I probably will.
    And theres no point to have a fast computer with a slow hard drive, so I'm gonna upgrade the HD too :)
    Yay i'm so excited. This is my first NEW apple laptop. Calls for a celebration :p

Thank you all.

16. macrumors 603

aswitcher

Best of luck with this.

Further words of advice.

> Get a screen protector so that oil from your hands on the keyboard and mouse pad sont damage your screen in transit. I have a radtech and its pretty fine - like a big glasses cloth.

> Get a decent well protected backpack sturdy enough for a 17 if you plan to walk allot with it.

> Consider getting a close fitting slip for your powerbook to keep dirt, dust and stuff out of your machines ports whilst its in the pack and to double up (if you get a stirdy one like Crumpelrs School Hymn) as a laptop thermal insulator if you end up typing on your knees from time to time.

17. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh wow! Thanks for the advice. I'll surely get those since this PB is a big investment for me.

Any more suggestions for accessories?
    Provide the links or brand/name if you can :)

18. thread starter macrumors 6502a

I dont need a new bag since I have a really huge triple 5 soul bag and its pretty big. So mainly I'm seraching for sleeves and screen protectors
    I found these 3 sleeves (I do not know if they are good or not, so if they aren't, pelase tell me):
    Marware - SportFolio
    Spire USA Boot - Dash
    Willow Design - Minimus Powerbook Sleeves

The only screen protector I found was this one....anyone have it or tried it?
    http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Page.cfm?Parent=542&Title=PowerBook Accessories&Template=1

By the way...aswitcher and invaLPsion - how do YOU like ur new PB..any complaints?

19. macrumors 603

aswitcher

20. macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

I think the 17" PowerBook is in a class that had all but died out. One that was around in the late 80's but seems to be making a small comeback. And that class would be the PC luggables. The 17" PowerBook IS portable. Hell a desktop is portable too. The question is is moving a desktop around realistic for a portable device. Ditto with the 17" PowerBook. It's designed to be taken from point A to B plopped down and will allow you to get the same amount of work done that a desktop would allow you to (within reason obviously.)

That appeals to me in a big way. I get my 17" screen wherever I go. I’ll get my fast processor wherever I go. But for me this all hinges on the G5. Sorry but from all the benchmarks I’ve seen and even playing with the current 17” 1.5Ghz G4 PowerBook the system is sorely in need of a massive overhaul both in terms of the system bus, CPU support, and available hard drives. (How about a 7200 RPM drive Apple?!?!?)

I think though for the average user the Power of the current gen 17" is pretty much good enough. I'm in the unique situation that there are some PC apps that I MUST have with me to do work. Specificly Access less specificly MapPoint. So I will need VPC which needs as much horsepower it can get its threads on. That and I plan on doing some amateur FCEing on it. The 17" PowerBook doesn't fit the bill for the specs I'm looking for.

Here's a quote from barefeats.com on specs:

Two times faster on a system only 300Mhz faster?!!?

Please. You nor anyone else on Macrumors has any idea what Apple has planned for the PowerBook nor any idea how long they’ve been working on a G5 PowerBook design. And yah that obviously includes me. You can't say one way or another about the G5 in the PowerBook. Frankly if Apple continues to use Moto they are going to be in the same boat they were in Pre-G5 with the PowerMac. They WILL be getting soundly thrashed by Intel's-90nm-2MB-cache Dothan-Pentium M chip. That and what will Apple do when Moto pulls another manufacturing fiasco like what reportedly occurred with the delay of last year's PowerBooks?!?
    At least IBM has the legit reason of moving from the 130nm to 90nm process as an excuse for delays. What was Moto's other then incompetence? That company has screwed over Apple in so many ways they could give a cheap whore technique lessons.

21. macrumors 603

aswitcher

Like I said, for a few inches and 20% more weight, you get a nice and still very portable machine.

Other benchmarks show the 1.5Ghz G4 and 1.6Ghz G5 pretty damn close for things I will be using, so no biggy...although I still will be pissed if within 2 months I see a similiar priced G5PB appear because of the future of G5 optomised apps.

Next PB I get will be a working G4 17" ! (I hope) :rolleyes:

22. macrumors 6502a

thatwendigo

Power expenditure, as you well know, is a big deal. Unless those 7200 RPM drives are going to be heavily cached and thus not tapped as often, they're probably only a good idea on laptops that are intended to be wall-plugged "desktop replacement." I've never really gotten the idea of designing a laptop that you can't keep away from an outlet for hours on end. All of the things that you harp on are going to eat more power and produce more heat, and most will add more cost to the design.

Unless you are forced to edit in the field, the PowerBook G4 is a bad choice for a Final Cut Pro "editing station."
    The G5/1.8MP Power Mac was over TWO TIMES FASTER than the 17" PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz) running our FCP4 render tests!

Sure, that second, higher-clocked CPU had nothing to do with the results. It's all the 300mhz difference that did it... :rolleyes:

We can point at known facts and the principles of physics, though. It doesn't mean that Apple won't find a way around the issues, that they don't have a surprise up their sleeves, or even that they might be marketing a different chip as the G5-M or something like that... You're right that people on this board don't know for certain that there will or won't be a G5 PowerBook in the immediate future, but you're wrong that we can't speculate within reason about what the issues facing the design would be.

The whole industry is experiencing technical issues, and while the actions of the company formerly completely under the direction of Motorola seem to be inexcusable form the standpoint of mac consumers, it's not the same company anymore. FreeScale is aggressively moving after the PowerPC and they've already brought one new design to market (the e500 embedded processor), with plans for two more that are almost surely intended to more high-end applications.

The legitimate reason in this case is hobbling by the Motorola parent corporation, which is no longer an issue. If FreeScale can move away from their past and put this new Crolles facility to work for them, then good things could come for Apple.

23. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Radtech

Wow! I absolutely love the stuff at radtech.us...its really nice. I think I'm gonna get the Wildeepz, Notebook ScreensavRz and the PowerSleevz.

Nice! Thank you so much!

I'll get all the stuff once I've actually sold my PM and my other PB.

24. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh wait..if I get the Wildeepz, do I really need the Notebook ScreensavRz?

25. macrumors 68000

mklos

First of all, I have every right in the world to speculate what I THINK Apple is going to do. These are just my opinions and you don't have to agree with them. Nobody said you did! These are forums in a rumor site so its if people aren't supposed to speculate what Apple's going to do then whats the whole point of the entire site(including the forums)! If you don't like it then leave! Plain and simple!

I still don't think Apple will introduce a G5 PowerBook. They even said that there will not be a G5 based PowerBook anytime soon, or in the near future. Do you remember how long it took Apple to put a G4 in a PowerBook when the G4 processor came out? It was at least 2 years. Apple has also stated that they will continue to use Motorola processors for some time to come as they have a very good relationship with Motorola. Sometimes people just don't make sense and they have wishful thinking (like a G5 in a PowerBook) and they make up all these reasons to have them, failing to see the point as to why its very difficult to put one in a laptop enclosure.

Parts of my answers are speculation and parts of them are based off from what higher level Apple employees say themselves. So a lot of my answers aren't the BS answer you like to think they are and others are just common sense answers.