G5 is Sounding like a jet engine!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by berkleeboy210, Aug 6, 2005.

1. berkleeboy210 macrumors 68000

Hi Gang,

Today, I finally looked into the guts of my Dual G5, and it's simply beautiful! I've never seen such a neat and tidy computer case in my life. Not one Wire!

However: When I closed the case up, Locked it again, and plugged everything back in. The Fan now won't shut off, even when the screen saver is running, and it is so loud!

This never happened before I opened the Case, but ever since I opened about a Half Hour ago, It won't stop running until i Turn off the Machine.

Also, Ever since I opened the cover, and then closed it when the G5 is operating I can see a red light blinking through the holes of the case.

Are these two problems normal?

This is the latest Rev of the G5

Any Ideas?

2. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

when you opened it up what did you do. Did you just check it out or did you install something?

Have you removed the plastic strips?

And did you put the plastic shield thing back in?

Not sure of the red light. Have had mine for about a year. Never seen a red light so.... hmmm :confused:

3. berkleeboy210 thread starter macrumors 68000

Removed the Plastic strips, but haven't put the shield back in. Could that be the problem?

Just looked inside, didn't touch a thing, except for the shield

4. AppleAce macrumors regular

Yes, that is your problem. The clear plastic shield helps direct airflow through the inside of the case. When it is removed, that little red light comes on and the fans go full blast in an attempt to circulate air everywhere that it needs to be to prevent overheating. Put the clear plastic shield back in and you should be fine.

5. berkleeboy210 thread starter macrumors 68000

That was indeed the Problem. Just put the Shield Back on and is operating quiet as a whisper.

Who Knew a Little Shield could be so important?

6. mbdamdg macrumors member

Yeah the plastic helps to direct the air for cooling - without it the fans will roar forever!
    (well they roar all the time in my Quicksilver, but that's a different story)

7. andrewag macrumors 6502

The little tabs at the bottom of the plastic cover trigger a button. When depressed the fans all come on (plus the red light).

8. swy32x macrumors regular

Ya, who who'dve guessed that something that comes connected to the computer affects its ability to run! ;)

No, but seriously, it's good that you got it fixed mate.

9. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Happend to me once, even had the shield put back, but it wasn't put back correctly. If you openend it and it starts to make a lot of noise after, it's always the shield!

10. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Anyone who knows anything about computer hardware. I'm sorry but why would just go and just rip parts out of a machine, and assume you know what you are doing? I don't mean to be rude but air baffles are in high end machines for a reason, maybe try reading your manual next time.

11. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

If you look at the bottom of the plastic shield there's a small metal strip/pad (can't remember its exact location) this completes a circuit and let's the macs thermal software know it's ok to run normally.

If this circuit isn't complete the Powermac will run at a reduced speed (believe it might be 1.4Ghz per CPU) the red light will come on and fans go into 'take off' mode!

12. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

Sorry but who really reads the manual? (no offense)

13. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

I do!

14. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

yeah, thats practically my life mantra (not reading them).

15. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I dunno, but then I never thought I'd see a post where some guy just removes parts of his G5 with NFI what they actually do. Maybe your question shouldn't of been "who really reads the manual?" but "who needs too?"?

16. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

i didn't read the manual when i got my G5.... took me a month to figure out you have to remove the plastic strips :eek: :eek:

Then apple gave me a new one because compusa "messed" that one up.... :D