Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 22, 2003
Washington, DC
Hey all. I've had a the dual processor G5 for about 3 weeks now and a pattern has developed.

About 20-25% of the time, when waking from sleep, the machine immediately suffers a kernal panic. It has been this way since I got it, and 10.2.8 has not had any remedial effect. Anyone else have this problem?

FYI, I have an airport extreme card (securely) attached and added an additional 1GB RAM (about a week after getting the machine, the additiona of this had no effect on the crashes).

Aside from this, the machine is great. For those with direct G5 experience, is this something that the Apple Store might be willing to address if I ask them to?

Gracias...

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
my gg5 has been messing up to. but i think its because of panther. currently im troubleshooting it becuase im curious, but it freezes about 5 times a day. and its a hard 0s 9 freeze, nothing you can do. but lately ive been on the powerbook :)

iJon

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 22, 2003
Washington, DC
I'll give those links a look. I'm tempted to wait until Panther hits, but I'm worried that won't do anything.

Perhaps this is realted, perhaps not. My graphics are completely screwy, but only when I play SimCity4. It works fine of my 12 inch PB and wife's eMac. Could it be a graphics card problem that is related to the panics? I'm grasping at straws, I know...

I ran Hardware Check last night - almost an hour and a half. I watched most of The Two Towers while that thing pinged away... (Oh, no errors were found.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.