g5 kernel panics on waking from sleep

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jelloshotsrule, Jul 30, 2005.

1. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

so i have an original dp 2 ghz g5. as far back as i can recall, anytime the computer goes to sleep (NOT the hard disk spinning down option), when i wake it it kernel panics.

well lately i wanted to start putting it to sleep because it makes my bedroom too hot at night and i dont' want to always shut it down just to avoid that. well, i tested it a couple times just now, and sure enough, when i wake it up, it kernel panics within 30 seconds.

i have 512 apple ram, and an additional 1 gb from owc which has tested fine in all sorts of ways prior, but not sure if that could cause problems. i do have a kensington mouse, but other than that i don't have any 3rd party stuff plugged in at the moment.

any thoughts on causes or tests to try?

thanks

2. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

any thoughts?

i can't say my g5 experience has been flawless, with fan issues and problems restarting (sometimes it just shows a grey screen, but does nothing, and i can turn it off by just pressing the power button, without even holding it...). wondering if anyone has ideas about the kp's from sleep....

3. GodBless macrumors 65816

GodBless

The two most common things that I have heard causing kernel panics are 3rd party ram and external hard drives.

I'd do a google search for your exact ram type and see if it has any conflicts with macs though. Kernel panics can be caused by multiple things although most of them are due to hardware related issues.

I'd assume it is your 3rd party ram if you didn't notice a problem prior to installing it. You should try taking it out and see if you have the problem again. If you don't then you know that the ram is the problem.

I hope this helps. :)

4. supergod macrumors 6502

Run hardware test. Hopefully it might show what's causing the problem. Probably it won't. In the case that it doesn't, reinstall OS X. You could either have this problem be a pain in the ass, probably keeping you from doing your work quickly, or you can just get your comp running again. Pretty similar things were happening with me so backed up the minimum, reinstalled the OS and now my comp is running better than when I first bought it.

5. Mac_Freak macrumors 6502a

Man, I had the same problem with my PB. Kernel Pnics would happen randomly when comming out of sleep for the last 20 or so months. After reading your post, as well as after evryone elso who I told about this problem, I have checked my Ram. First by swaping their places. Guess what it would lock up before all the icons on right side menu have loaded fully. So I took one out, same ptoblem. Put that bad one in other slot, same thing. Put another on in its place, works like a charm. Conclusion, it was the RAM. :( Just take out that extra ram and see if it helps.

6. Mac_Freak macrumors 6502a

Apple Hardware Test nor TechTool Pro could find anything wrong with my Ram (check post above) so I doubt it will find anything wrondg with your PowerMac.