G5 Keyboard problems

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by =pa=, Jan 11, 2004.

1. =pa= macrumors newbie

I've tried everything except wiping my drive, so here goes:

My G5 keyboard repeats e's, t's, and commas even when "key repeat rate" is set to "slow" and "delay until repeat" is "off". Swapped out the keyboard, done all the HW and SW tests indicated by Applecare, archived and reinstalled OS, and it STILL HAPPENS! I'm about to go postal! Any advice apprieciated! :confused:

2. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

is it just that keyboard that is doing it?

if so, call apple care (whether you paid for it or not - 1 year automatically covered) and sit through them helping you diagnose it... you probably have a bad keyboard and they should send you a new one... while you are still under 1 year, they won't charge you at all, not even shipping, which is usually overnight.

3. =pa= thread starter macrumors newbie

I've already swapped out 1 keyboard, doubt that it would be the same fault in another. Applecare doesn't seem to know what it is. I've been working on this for weeks now. This post is my last resort.

4. jeff.macaddict macrumors regular

5. MacBoyX macrumors 6502

MacBoyX

Do you have access to a Firewire HD? If so I'd use Carbon Copy Cloner to backup ur G5 HD to the FW HD (don't use an image do it direct). I'd reinstall Panther and then see if it happens again. (OR YOU COULD JUST INSTALL PANTHER TO THE FIREWIRE DRIVE, but the other solution saves u from reinstalling again if u do have an issue). If it does, then you have a HW problem. If it does not, copy ur Apps and Prefs and Data over to the G5's drive and minimal down time and work.

I like to keep a firewire drive as a diagnosis drive even tho I know not every one has extra ones lying around.

macboyX

6. =pa= thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, but no spare drives hanging around.. I'm gonna try creating a new admin user and see if that works. If not, I'll just do a clean install. After that, it'so replacement time. I've spent waaaay to much time on this for a breand new machine!

7. =pa= thread starter macrumors newbie

After much wailing and gnashing of teeth, the problem was discovered. It was my Microsoft mouse! The thing broke, so I pitched it and used the Apple one-button mouse. Problem solved. I'm sure the moral of the story is clear! :rolleyes:

8. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    glad that you didnt have to do a clean install, while its not that difficult, its still a little annoying to do. how did ur mouse affect ur keyboard? well iv heard of stranger things hehe

9. =pa= thread starter macrumors newbie

I imagine it has something to do with both devices being hooked up via the same USB bus. Who knows. Now I gotta find a 2-button +scrollwheel mouse that doesn't cause the same problem, 'cause I just can't live with a single button mouse. Can't do it. :(

10. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i use a kensington pro mouse, works great for me. it has an extra button right bellow the scroll wheel and i use that to map the expose control to show the desktop.

11. raytube macrumors member

Hi,
    I use a Microsoft Wheel mouse with no problems at all on my G5. I haven't encountered any weird behaviour so you should be ok, I have however had MS mice die on me without warning before so it's worth keeping that in mind when you have problem like this.

Cheers,

Rick