G5 left @ my front door... =(

Discussion in 'Community' started by Blackheart, Jul 10, 2004.

1. macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

So I just received my G5 this week and when I woke up, I found that the delivery guy just left the G5 on my front doorstep. No outside box or anything, just the big 'ol "G5" on the box. For being a $2500 computer, you'd think they might require a signature or something. Has anyone else had a computer delivered from Apple that was just dropped off? Is this Apple that isn't requiring a signature or just the delivery companies getting REALLY lazy?

Damn conscience...always getting in the way of me getting "free" computers...

2. macrumors 68040

JFreak

it's not apple's fault - they will most probably require courier delivery, meaning a signature is mandatory. if you like, you can educate the delivery firm by calling apple in a week-or-so telling them that you have not received your order ;)

(apple will contact the delivery firm, the delivery firm says they have delivered it, apple asks for signature, they say they don't have any, they call you, you say you have not received it, they tell apple that they have screwed up, apple sends another computer, charges delivery firm, delivery firm contacts insurance company.)

3. macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

one of the best ideas I have seen on these forums in a long time :)

4. macrumors G3

hahahahahahahahaha... I'd do exactly what JFreak said... :eek: :p :p hahahahahahahhaha brilliant! :D

5. macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

I had an iPod dropped off and left outside my front door (this was when I was living in the US). The driver signed the delivery for me which kind of removes the above suggestion.

6. macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

I've had to sign for everything Apple have sent me, even a keyboard.

AppleMatt

edit: I meant "sign" not "sing". Damn English words.

7. macrumors 68000

Stelliform

You might check to see if you have a no signature required form filled out with the delivery agency. My friend has one filled out with FedEx, so anything from FedEx gets left on his doorstep, unless he calls them and tells them to wait for his signature.

8. macrumors member

hmm

While you will likely get another machine, you do realize that you are in fact stealing it, right? That said, I would do it. These courier companies need to get jerked every now and then. Sorta like compensation for all the times they have made you wait for delivery. Or the times they say they attempted delivery and never rang the bell, just left a delivery attempt notice. (Yes I have issues with the ups/fedex's of the world).

9. macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Strange. :confused:

When I got my iMac, I had to sign for it.
    When I got my iPod, I didn't have to sign for it.
    When I got my Airport Base Station and Airport card, I didn't have to sign for it.

10. macrumors 6502a

Sabbath

Your so right, we always spend so much time waiting for these people why can't they just give us a proper delivery time. I hate those times you waste all day waiting with the online tracking saying out for delivery and it never turns up. Then you call them and they say they tried to make a delivery or something but blatently never did argghh :mad:

I wouldn't be able to pull off demanding another computer however.

11. macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i've had fedex just leave packages on my door before, it's quite unnerving. i don't have a signature on file. I'm really pissed at them because they basically forgot to deliver a package to me yesterday. But, their poor service pays off, i do probably $20,000 worth of shipping a year at work, and i put it all through UPS, which is responsible enough to deliver packages on time, to a person and not a doorstep. They're not perfect, but a lot better than fedex or airborne...

paul

12. macrumors 6502

My iBook 600 was left at the front door while I was away at work. Now I have expensive items delivered to my work address.

Paul, I think there may be different cultures for delivery. FedEx never leaves the package here in SC, I always have to run down to their warehouse at 7:00pm to pick it up. UPS just dumps it and runs. O well.

13. macrumors P6

wdlove

I know that my honest would not allow me to do something like that. Agree that it would serve them right. Apple needs to be made aware of such an indiscretion. My deliveries from Apple via have always required a signature or no delivery. When I got my G4 they dropped it off at a next door neighbor after a signature. I was kind of upset because of not really trusting the neighbor. It wasn't the fault of Apple. Not sure about the policy of Fed-Ex. Also my neighbor had left the boxes on their porch, watching out for me to return home. So I was sad about their care of my delivery. It all ended well though, got my mac safe and sound.

14. macrumors 6502

madoka

I can't believe how many people are advocating STEALING from Apple. This is the company we all love and you guys want to rip them off and feel justified in doing it. So what if the delivery company screwed up. Don't you think the costs of thieves would eventually get passed on to the rest of us.

Why not just go to the local Apple store and shoplift there?

Man if anyone does do this I hope they get caught. Oh, you think they'll just let you walk with a $2000+ item? Not likely. The shipping company will send out investigators to figure out what happened. UPS did that to my friend after a $200 item was stolen.

15. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

Yeah; I've joked with my friend about getting him a free G5 but I'd feel really guilty, I'm sure... plus, I've already registered the comp anyway so I'm sure they have that on record.

Should I even bother calling Apple and telling them what happened or do you think it's a mute point?

16. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

Not that it would make it right, but I believe it would be the courier's fault because they are the entity who did not fulfill their duties. Thus, the courier would have to pay for the item (or their insurance company, as stated by JFreak).

17. macrumors newbie

nyassa3898

fedex has done that to packages so many times, i'd call fedex and see if you get anywhere. This reason is also why i have things shipped to my work address. besides i bet the signed it as met. customer.

18. macrumors 6502

Actually, the delivery guy will show up at your door and ask you about it, ask your neighbors about it and he'll likely remember exactly where he left it. Plus, he may call the police and file a report.

Essentially, you're committing fraud. I'm not exactly sure what sort of fraud, but it's fraud. Insurance maybe? The shipping co's insurance would cover it...probably. Plus, it's across state lines so it's even deeper doo doo if you were to get caught. Considering that it needs to be registered electronically, it's not outside the realm of possibility that you'd get caught.

The shipping co should NOT have done that. However, it happens. Call and complain for sure.

I'm not trying to be high and mighty, or self-righteous. Do what you wish; it's no skin off of my back, and the shipping company would take the loss, not Apple.

19. macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

I worked for the Post Office one summer and let me tell you if you left something that required a signature without getting the signature you could get in BIG trouble.

20. macrumors 6502

madoka

I'm no economist, but it doesn't take a genius to see that these costs don't magically disappear with the insurance company. These costs get passed on to Apple in the form of higher shipping charges which eventually get passed on to us.

21. macrumors member

IT WORKS...

I work for UPS, and I can assure you that this sort of thing happens all of the time. That is why you are required to declare a value, and insure certain things, and everything that costs over $XXXXXX.XX.

though the company will send the driver to talk to you about getting it. then they will send out the loss prevention guy....
    also, you may not want to register the computer "you didn't get" it could perhaps eventually be traced back to you through many many means. I know dell does such things. when they find the computer online they start looking. somepeople even end up getting caught b/c they registered it with their name and home address, and then guess who shows up?

22. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

But if he didn't register his computer, told Fedex that he didn't get it, and a new one was sent to him, surely the computer that he "didn't get" couldn't be found just by hooking it up to the internet. I really don't know how Fedex or Apple could find out about that.

As a student, I've never had the money to buy a G5 or any other major purchase like that, so I don't know how it feels to have something important like that left on my doorstep without a signature, but if I was mad enough (and depending on my general mood), I would try something like Jfreak suggested. I don't think its illegal since they didn't technically complete the transaction (no sig!), but its definitely immoral.

23. macrumors regular

How the hell does Dell know if a computer is online? Do they install some sort of spyware on every computer that they sell? If that is the case you could easily install a firewall and block any network communications from any unauthorized programs. I don't see how else they could do this.

Perhaps there is some tricky stuff they could do with a MAC address, but I think they would have to have a router/switch on the same subnet as the computer and have that router/switch looking for that particular MAC address.

I'm terribly interested in this.

24. macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Don't know if someone already said this or not but I'd call Apple and complain. Someone, somewhere goofed! No harm no foul, this time. But if you or they paid for a signature they should get that service. Not to mention what very easily *could* have happened.

25. macrumors 65816

Although I am in no way advocating the fraud that was recommended, I think the point is that even if the delivery guy knew he left it on the doorstep, someone could have subsequently stolen it off the doorstep. The whole point of the original post was rage that someone would leave a box in the open, there for the taking, emblazoned with 'G5' on the side for all the world to see and walk up to and then walk off with. Only on the very off chance that a neighbor happened to see the rightful owner open his door and pull the box in would he be in much jeopardy of being caught.

And I would be mad not just because Fedex took a chance on my property being stolen, but also that they just advertised to the whole neighborhood that I have a $2500 computer in my house, inviting thieves. When I sold my Studio Display on eBay, I shipped it in the box of the Cinema Display I had just purchased. But I didn't dare send the box naked, advertising its contents to everyone who saw it. I wrapped it in plain brown paper.

In short, a lot of the blame for this kind of danger lies at Apple's door for using such showy boxes even for shipping. That's kinda stupid. Vain, but stupid. Which sums up Apple quite a bit, actually. :rolleyes: