G5 Lost Its RAM!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by derboy, Jan 13, 2005.

1. derboy macrumors regular

If anyone could offer any help on this problem it would be appreciated. I’ve got a g5 duel 1.8. It came with the stock 256 ram. I added two sticks of 512 from crucial and they were defiantly working. Then a week or two ago I looked at the ‘about this mac’ to see that only the 256 was being recognised!

I then swapped the 512 sticks into the ones occupied by the 128 bays, still not recognised. The machine will not start with only the 512 sticks in, and the 128 sticks work in all the slots. Confusing?

So then I ran the hardware test, and it came back with a result of bad ram, whilst recognising that there are 2x 512 sticks in position. This looked like progress, so I called up crucial, and they were very helpful, and replaced them immediately.

Yesterday I got the new ram put it in the g5 and same situation, no joy in any configuration. Before anyone says, the type of ram is correct! I don’t believe that the 2nd batch of memory is at fault (if the 1st ever was!) so this leads me to blame the g5.

What is happening, the 128 sticks do work in all of the slots (x4). The firmware of the computer is the most recent, - that has been the only change.

Any suggestions would really be good, as I’m not looking forward to the uk apple customer service, eg speaking to the far east call centre as I’m sure anyone in the uk knows….

2. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

I would recommed calling Apple and telling them your problem. I'm sure you'll get help that way.

3. derboy thread starter macrumors regular

Just to update, if anyone is interested.
    - i called apple tech support call centre, as soon as they knew the ram was purchased from Crucial.com (not apple) thats all they would blame. As i have replaced the ram, apparently the computer still cannot have a fault. The guy on the phone agreed that he thought the computer may be at fault, but his supervisor would not allow any action to be taken.

Thier only advice was by ram only from apple, then they wil honor tech support. my problem/question is, why bother anodising in ram installation instructions into the g5 case, if it has to be bought from apple and prefferably installed by them.

just had a quick look at prices as well, 2 x 512 from apple is £200!!!
    same from crucial is 85.98!!

even through i think the computer is at fault. i think apple is taking the piss.

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Call Apple, speak to a manager and tell them to go **** themselves!!! :mad:

Apple UK support are a bunch of arseholes recently. Don't take no for an answer. You have done all you an and so have Crucial (who BTW privide one way or another most of the "Apple" RAM I believe). Now it's their turn to do some investigation.

Short of that, where do you live? Nothing quite like dumping the machine on the genius bar in Regent Street and having a hissy fit in front of other customers about their shockingly **** support ;) :D

5. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

That is what I would do. while complaining about the time spent to do it. ALWAYS be nice first, the person on the other end will respond better to your strokes, then if that doesn't work-blast'm to hell! Just remember, the squeaky wheel get the grease!

6. derboy thread starter macrumors regular

At the momment, getting the machine into central london would be a real hassle. And i've had a thought about the ram type

just a quick question to any other g5 duel 1.8 owners, What is the speed of Ram you are using.

According to the hardware test cd, the apple stuff is 3200 (quick stuff) and the crucial stuff that i installed is 2800. Firstly as i am sure they have both been run simultaneously, is anyone else doing this?

is it likely that the recent firmware upgrade closed the door on running the slower type of ram, as is my suspision? if all else fails i may have to just buy some more and try my luck.

thought i would post yet another update, although even i'm finding this descussion about the finer points of ram a bit dull. just a really annoying problem.

7. maya macrumors 68040

maya

That is your problems you are using PC2700 RAM INSTEAD OF PC3200 RAM. :)

Once you install PC3200 RAM you are as good as gold. :)

8. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Call Crucial UK and tell them that you had been recommended the wrong ram 2700.

And that your PMG5 takes PC3200 ram.

And the world is well again. :)

9. auxplage macrumors 6502

You cannot run the 2700 on a Dual G5 to my knowledge that is. You can run 3200 on a computer that requires 2700 for example, and it will just slow down.

10. maya macrumors 68040

maya

LOL, yes it seems that derboy, has gotten the order backwards. :)

Mistakes happen, there is nothing wrong with your G5 system. Just remember to get the basic knowledge of how ram works and you will not have a hassle with ram down the road. :)

11. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You might have mentioned that fact earlier :rolleyes:
    You would NEVER have been able to run slower memory than is required.

12. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Apple tech support could also have asked that question....

:rolleyes:

13. derboy thread starter macrumors regular

Just to round up.

The 2700 stuff was bought for a g5 1.6 about a year ago. i then changed to a duel 1.8 and put the ram in it. It definatly worked, i'm aware of the current recomendations. and the fact that it no longer worked is a result imo of the firmware update.

-but anyway, thanks everyone for any input. i rang crucial again, and as they are absolute legands, they will swop the ram again for free. Can't rate them high enough.