G5 mac cant install OS 10.5 PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ajsheets123, Jan 6, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

Jan 6, 2011
    I have a power mac g5 its a few years old and I'm having trouble installing OS 10.5 leopard. When I turn on the computer i get a blinking ? folder that alternates showing a ? and a mac face, with a gray background. I tried putting in the start up disk ( ? folder doesn't appear with the start up disk) and it guides me through the installation steps, but it doesn't display a location to install the OS on. I also tried putting an external HD in and this does not appear as well. So, I went to disk utility and tried the figure out the problem. In disk utility, the internal hard drive is there, but not the external HD. I also tried switching Hard drive ports from a to b and this made no difference. IF you have any suggestion or solutions please post them. Thank you.
  2. macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

Nov 20, 2010
    ladner cdn
    did you try using disk utility to erase your internal harddrive (thus also formats it) then installing leopard?
  3. macrumors regular

Mike Macintosh

Sep 20, 2009
    Washington State
    I was going
    to say it was probably a failing HD, but you said you also tried a external, my only question I have for you is, are you sure its the retail disc?

If it's gray then you have the wrong disc.
  4. macrumors 6502a

Oct 6, 2009
    North Carolina
    The disk you would need would be Black with a big purple X in the middle. If you are using grey disks than it won't install.
  5. macrumors 6502a

Jun 5, 2010
    Dubai, UAE
    This, unless he has the grey install disk that came with the unit.
  6. macrumors 603

Apr 15, 2004
    G5's never shipped with 10.5.
  7. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 6, 2011
    yes i did erase the HD, zeroing out all the data and that had no luck
  8. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 6, 2011
    I am using the 10.5 disk and it is a legit copy purchased from apple. When I boot up the computer with a the disk I would get a grey backround on the screen its no the disk
  9. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 6, 2011
    Should I try using a different OS disk?
  10. macrumors 603

Apr 15, 2004
    Your OS disk is good. It sounds like your hard drive is dead.
  11. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 6, 2011
    The hard drive shows up in disk utility, but not as a install location. Could the hard drive be dead even if the computer recognizes it in disk utility?

And If the HD is dead should I get a new one or is there any way to repair it on the computer?
  12. macrumors 68000

Oct 29, 2010
    The Philippines...
    How did you format your HDD? It should be Mac OSX Extended Journaled.