G5 may not be what we've been expecting.

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by mischief, Mar 12, 2002.

1. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Moto's site says nothing about an MPC line chip in the 8xxx series that isn't an embedded comm processor.

Perhaps we've all been ignoring the possibility that IBM's "super G3" that we found a while back will be G5. I think Moto may sell out of it's PPC holdings for the Desktop and concentrate on what they can sell to Cisco and Sun.

So where does this leave us?

It means we lose Altivec or see it under liscence on an IBM CPU.

It means we get enough CPU's to really have some fun.

It means the rumors of a G5 and an Athlon on the same Mobo make a bit more sense.

2. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

If Motorolla doesn't give us a true G5, then I cannot understand why Apple doesn't move to the Athlon. Linux flies on that processor, and X (according to rumor) is already running on the Athlons. They are x86, but what if AMD created a variant of the processor that was PPC based?

Now here is a rumor for you. Apple buys Mortorolla's Chip design, and then partners with AMD to actually design and build the processors. Can you imagine what they could build on the PPC platform? SSE is basically the velocity engine, and it shows on their benchmarks. They are 500 MHZ behind Intel, and perfom equal, and that is on the X86 architecture!

By the way Mischief, what is the super G3?

3. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

All that you both are saying is making me depress, I do not understand a thing and is making me feel exactly what I am... a pour 3rd world person:(

4. mischief thread starter macrumors 68030

mischief

The 3rd world may be the place to be soon.

Take heart dude, I'm gonna see about turning things around. I'm getting sick of the US being so superficial and bound up in legal rat's-nests. You're little country and many others like it will blossom soon. Ride it out and keep the Faith.

5. mischief thread starter macrumors 68030

mischief

The "super G3"

About 6 weeks ago there was a thread that speculated an IBM chip may be the G5. There was a link to the specs. The thing was scalable in it's whole architecture the way Altivec is as a Vector unit. The forums have been re-organized so much I can't find it any more but it was from that MWSF period. Maybe Arn or blakespot can find it.

6. oldMac macrumors 6502a

AMD

Yes.

Apple should court someone else into the AIM alliance who would have more of a vested interest in making PC processors. AMD seems like a good candidate because of their demonstrated results.

7. mischief thread starter macrumors 68030

mischief

8. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

AMD is good. I like the idea of them making PowerPC chips. I'd much rather that than have OS X run on x86 architecture.

What do you think the chances are of Intel, AMD and Apple all agreeing on a new architecture? As it stands, AMD (and possibly Intel, I'm not sure) is emulating the x86 architecture on a completely different type of chip.

Tha only thing that is stopping Intel from leaving the x86 architecture is legacy. If they could make a brand new, non x86 based chip it would fly. And if Intel, AMD and Apple all agreed on a new architecture, it could be bought in over a couple of years by all companies.

That way you could run Windows, Mac OS, linux whatever on any machine. But best of all, the hardware would be cheaper and faster. Hmmm...

9. rice_web macrumors 6502a

rice_web

Third World

The third world is going down the gutter right now, but so is the rest of the world. A depression has settled over the world, and only a dictatorship can lead countries away from it. If history is repeating itself, we could be in store for another World War. What are the odds that Argentina declares a dictatorship and a war on Chile within the next three years?

10. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Think About it...

Has Apple EVER EVER increased the number or release date on a processor/machine, but the machine was actually slower than previous processors? I dont think so!

Whenever a new Mac is released, it is always FASTER and BETTER than the model before it. There is no way in holy hell, that a G5 will out-perform a G4. NO way...:mad:

11. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Re: Think About it...

Uh... how's that again?

12. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Re: Re: Think About it...

Ahhh..Sorry!:p :p
    I ment there is no way a G4 will out perform a G5!

13. dualburn001 macrumors regular

Re: Think About it...

you mean thiers no way a g4 can outperform a g5

14. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

Either way, new method, or secret research project, we need a G5 soon.

15. graydecember macrumors member

***OT alert***

mymemory, rice_web:

I'm very interested in what you have to say about the possibilities of a world war, and about the state of affairs abroad. Although I'm not the sort who is habitually hand wringing about the apocalypse, even before 911 (tech sector free-fall, actually), I was beginning to feel a kind of darkness descend upon the world. I'm not trying to be melodramatic at all- it's just that things are very bad right now, and we americans *still* don't even freakin' realize it- we're barely acting any differently (especially those of us not on the east coast). In fact, one could argue that we americans are acting even stupider than ever (although I'm not going to be the one argue that, not here!!)

This is definitely a subject that could creat some controversy, but perhaps someone can recommend a good forum for talking about this (I'm reading Noam Chomsky right now, and I'm getting pretty freaked out). I'm not buying a $3000 mac anytime soon though, and in fact I'm quite seriously thinking about liquidating my assets and turning them into something valuable (like 3 acres and a solar cabin in Oregon!) :eek: :eek: :confused:

16. IndyGopher macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

Re: Re: Re: Think About it...

I still say the 601 is a lot better chip than the 603... but I know what you mean... of course, the 604 did some things better than the G3, too.. so it isn't always a huge revolutionary thing when they change CPU's.

17. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

Off-Topic a wee bit.....

perhaps someone should start a thread dedicated to discussing the possibility of WW3.....:rolleyes:

18. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Re: Third World

What the hell!?!?!?!

Way to cheer everyone up. World War?? Third world going down the drain??? Thats just no way to talk. I'm all for a hard dose of reality now and then, but keep it rational.

If there is any touch of humanity in this world, we'll find ways to improve life for everyone on this planet. Gods know we're closer than ever to being able to accomplish it--technologically and monetarily that is.

I'm hoping for a golden age of reason, technological advance, and care for our fellow human beings as well as for this earth. Call me an idealist, but I think it will be possible someday.

America needs to become more globally oriented for a start. How about treating foreign countries a bit better than we have in the past? Its as good a place as any to start.

If any community is capable of seeing a better world, I'd think it would be Mac users. How about it everybody?

Matthew "Hippy" Trumbell

19. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

The 750fx...

...is/is not the following things:

1) It is not the G5. It's a G3. A fast, low power, bus speed boosted G3, but still a G3.

2) It will not and cannot outperform a current top-of-the-line G4. G3s can't be multiprocessor, don't have Altivec, don't have a level 3 cache, and don't have as advanced an FP unit. The only advantage it has is a bit more L2 cache and a slightly faster bus.

3) It does not have Altivec, nor anything like Altivec. Also, it would be a horrendous waste of die space to make the entire chip SIMD capable, it would mean that half the chip wouldn't be being used most of the time, which would make it slower than it would be without SIMD.

4) It is the ideal chip for the iBook. 1GHz, 200MHz bus, 512k L2 cache, 3.6 watts.

The IBM alternative to a Motorola G5 can be seen by looking at their PPC roadmap ( http://www-3.ibm.com/chips/products/powerpc/rdmap/roadmap_small.jpg ). It's multi-core (2 or more chips in one), 1GHz+, integrated SIMD (read that as Altivec/SSE/3dNOW! clone), probably with DDR support, .13 micron, SOI, probably with PCI-X support, probably some other stuff. They are working on it, but there is no reason to believe that it's the G5 rather than the MPC7500.

Also, AMD does not emulate x86. Their processors are pure x86, even their new Hammer chip (it's a 64 bit extension to x86). I believe you're thinking of Transmeta, which makes a VLIW processor that emulates x86 in an extremely nifty way and runs on only 1 watt of power. They could easily make it emulate PPC instead. If Transmeta makes a high performance, PPC/x86 compatible chip, and Apple uses it, I will be very happy. Code morphing is awesome(the tech they use to emulate x86).

SSE/SSE2/MMX/3dNOW!/Enhanced 3dNOW! all try to do what Altivec does (which is add a dedicated SIMD unit to the chip). However, they suck at it. If the P4/AthlonXP had something as good as Altivec three things would be true:

1) The chip would require the best heat sink ever made (they're already hot, adding *four* pipelines and 32 128-bit registers would just make them bigger/more power hungy/hotter.

2) The extra space would make them more expensive

3) The G4 would be doomed. Altivec is only thing that lets it get anywhere close to holding its own against an AthlonXP 2000+ or P4 2.2GHz. If they had Altivec they would blow it out of the water.

20. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Re: Re: Third World

I agree. America tried the isolationist foreign policy technique at the start of WW2 (look at how well that worked). They don't need to try it again (like they're doing right now). So far we've pissed off:

Japan + world with the Kyoto protocol
    Russia with the "Star Wars" program
    whichever countries are on the "Axis of Evil" with that speech
    probably some others I didn't hear about/remember

not a great record is it?

21. dualburn001 macrumors regular

thread went from g5 to ww3
    hmmm not a very good sign

22. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

neither has happened yet

...and the way things have been going, it looks more like ww3 is going to come before the g5...i think that's what the "war" on terrorism is, a kind of covert third world war with a lot of countires working together to try to stamp out terrorism...and it will be costly as it has been already and there might be no end in sight

as far as the g5, the waiting seems like there will be no end in sight and we may not even see this g5 machine this year

two things i have been waiting for recently...catch bin laden and see a g5

23. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

It just goes to show how little FACTUAL evidence is circulating right now. Either Apple/Moto are playing their cards extrememly close...or there's simply not much going on.
    We can sit here and discuss the implications of their roadmap until we're blue in the face, but the truth remains we don't really know much about what the G5 will be like and when we'll see it.

I think this is Steve's revenge for all the leakages in previous years!

24. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

OK

Now we are off the subject...
    Back to the G5...
    ...it will not be a G3 on steroids. A g3 will NEVER outperform a G4. So a G5 will out perform both a G4 and the G3.

25. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Re: OK

I thought I brought us back on topic? :)

I think the G5 had better substantially outperform the Wintel chips. What better way to grab more marketshare? We've already got an OS every PC user wishes they had, now we need the hardware to show it off to its fullest.
    If they put out a CPU that hands down, no discussion, no excuses beats the crap out of any Intel or AMD chip they will REALLY have something to brag about at MW.