G5 Memory Help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kjdenison, Jan 14, 2006.

1. kjdenison macrumors 6502

I need some advice on upgrading my RAM for my 1.6GHZ PowerMac G5.
    (I currently have 2 128's and 2 256's)
    Type: DDR SDRAM
    Speed: PC2700U-25330

I have been looking and I found a pair of 1GB on NewEgg for $150.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820141214
    I don't know much about memory but this would work right?

All the main brands, like Kingston, Viking, etc. ask about $300 for the same 2GB. I do a lot of graphic work, and more memory intensive projects, so should I stay away from a cheaper chip? Or is it all the same?

Does anyone know a good place to get memory from? I would really appreciate any help.

2. kjdenison thread starter macrumors 6502

3. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

I personally like Datamem.com. They are Mac people and they guarentee compatibility. I had a great transaction with them last summer when Ibought a 2 gig kit.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Searching the MR forums is a splendid idea - we've covered this only about 200 times.

1) Unless the seller tests and guarantees compatibility with Macintosh, there is no guarantee of compatibility with your Macintosh.

2) Buying generic RAM from a discounter who has the ability to charge a 15% restocking fee if you want a refund is risky.

3) You can put either PC3200 or PC2700 modules in your machine. Get the PC3200s

Crucial is US$272
    OWC is US$186
    Data Memory Systems is US$192

Note: a 'Nag' post (anyone have any advice?) to bump your question isn't necessary...

5. kjdenison thread starter macrumors 6502

I appreciate the help, and those links. I have no idea what is good, or ok memory. I am just guessing the higher the price the more quality, which is not something I want to assume. I actually did search the forums for about 15 minutes. I typed in both Memory and Ram in the search box below and got nothing relating to my machine. Maybe I am searching wrong?

6. starnox macrumors 6502

I got two 1GB sticks for my iMac G5 from crucial, and they came the next day. Haven't had a problem with them. The crucial website is also good because you just follow the drop down lists and they tell you what to get for your system.

I know a lot of other people who use crucial in the Macs and they have never had a problem with it. So I would recommend them.

7. kjdenison thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you, I appreciate the recommendation!

8. Bryy macrumors newbie

I also need advice with RAM.

Would DDR-333 PC2700 RAM work in a Power Mac G5?

9. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

OWC or nobody. Been burned too many times.

Lifetime replacement warranty and excellent customer servie to boot.

One of, if not *the* best Apple 3rd party products vendor there is. I have met them several times at MWSF.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/apple/memory/

10. bluskale macrumors regular

I'll second OWC... I've bought ram from them a number of times, and they're pretty reliable. Plus there is the lifetime warranty, which works pretty smoothly (I did have a stick die on me once). The next time I buy ram will most likely be from them.

11. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

Some earlier models... you'd be better off with DDR400 PC3200 though since it's backward compatible and will work with all but the final DDR2 model of G5's.

12. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

Oh man... first of all, do you mean 1.8Ghz G5 tower? I think you do... please don't put 128's in that beautiful machine. :) Yes, 2x 1GB's would be a good start, but your G5 will run faster and live longer if you max it out eventually.

PC2700 sticks will work but they must match. I would recommend Amazon.com for RAM actually... it's incredible how cheap they sell the good stuff for.

13. sepo01 macrumors newbie

I highly recommend OWC as well, they are great.

14. Bryy macrumors newbie

Thanks. I can't seem to get rid of these four gigs of RAM cause they're only from a 1.6ghz.