Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bzollinger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2005
I've searched and read every thread I can find pertaining to memory upgrades for the G5. But still am wondering about peoples opinions with a specific purchase.

Can anyone offer any insight as to whether this RAM will work in my Dual 2.0Ghz G5 (4 DIMM slots). It meets all of the specs that I'm aware of and one guy has had success using it in an iMac. The only thing I can't confirm is that it's JEDEC certified. After the rebate the price is right.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145575

Model
Brand CORSAIR
Series XMS
Model TWINX2048-3200C2PT
Type 184-Pin DDR SDRAM
Tech Spec
Capacity 2GB (2 x 1GB)
Speed DDR 400 (PC 3200)
Cas Latency 2
Timing 2-3-3-6
Voltage 2.75V
ECC No
Buffered/Registered Unbuffered
Heat Spreader Yes
Features Platinum Heat Spreader
Recommend Use High Performance or Gaming Memory
Manufacturer Warranty
Parts Lifetime
Labor Lifetime

bzollinger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2005
Has anyone got any experience with putting XMS memory in a G5? Help me out if you do. DDR memory isn't cheap these days, but it is a lot cheaper than buying a new Mac Pro!

thanks,
BZ

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
I found that for the G5 that takes DDR memory, you really have to check with the manufacturer to see if it is Mac compatible.

I spent 160 bucks on four gigs for this pleasure.

I know there are exceptions, someone on MR said Fry's memory worked for him, but just do your homework before you buy.

bzollinger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2005
Thanks for the input. I've been wrestling with the idea of paying a premium for memory, but I think that is what it's going to take. I've already "experienced" one purchase.

I guess that's what I get for waiting for a certain memory to get so old that it's out of production. :rolleyes::mad:

Chuck Fadanoid

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2008
Munich, Germany
I've always grabbed the cheapest I can find off Amazon and so far not had a problem. I think I have a mixture of Corsair, Samsung, Infineon in there!

I do have a question: does the fact that it's recognised in System Profiler / "About this Mac" actually mean its accessible to applications? I.e. can the system see it but not use it in some cases?

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Thanks for the input. I've been wrestling with the idea of paying a premium for memory, but I think that is what it's going to take. I've already "experienced" one purchase.

I guess that's what I get for waiting for a certain memory to get so old that it's out of production. :rolleyes::mad:

I found a seller on eBay. You may be able to talk them down a bit.

You will notice a big improvement with the memory.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Yeah I bought Crucial 1gb modules off Frys.com at the end of last year because they were having a huge rebate on them. Think they were about $16 each after the rebates.

They worked great in my dual 1.8 G5.

bzollinger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2005
So when you say you're just buying whatever is cheapest are you still talking in context of buying "Mac compatible" RAM?

Or are you just buying whatever RAM you can find that matches the specs of Mac ram?

thanks,
BZ

bzollinger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2005
I've always grabbed the cheapest I can find off Amazon and so far not had a problem. I think I have a mixture of Corsair, Samsung, Infineon in there!

I do have a question: does the fact that it's recognised in System Profiler / "About this Mac" actually mean its accessible to applications? I.e. can the system see it but not use it in some cases?

I would check the system monitor and select memory to see what it sees there. That way you can see what is available, being used, inactive, etc....

Chuck Fadanoid

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2008
Munich, Germany
So when you say you're just buying whatever is cheapest are you still talking in context of buying "Mac compatible" RAM?

Or are you just buying whatever RAM you can find that matches the specs of Mac ram?

thanks,
BZ

The last few times the memory I bought didn't mention Macs at all, the German Amazon site is usually pretty sparse with information. I paid 60-odd Euros for the last lot (2x1GB Infineon), which is cheap by standards over here - maybe they were clearing Infineon stock, cos didn't they go bust, or their RAM making arm at least?

bzollinger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2005

bzollinger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2005
The last few times the memory I bought didn't mention Macs at all, the German Amazon site is usually pretty sparse with information. I paid 60-odd Euros for the last lot (2x1GB Infineon), which is cheap by standards over here - maybe they were clearing Infineon stock, cos didn't they go bust, or their RAM making arm at least?

I was thinking this would work but I didn't want to have to return another RAM order, so I just took the plunge. But it's good to know that typically as long as the memory matches the specs it should work.

Maybe someone could chime in that used "spec'd" memory that didn't work?

BZ

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.