G5 music production with logic express 7

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by shilo, Mar 20, 2005.

1. shilo macrumors newbie

Alright ppl.
    Im finking of getting a powermac G5 1.6 ghz. The reason i am going 4 the 1.6 ghz is because i have found a cheap deal (600 pounds). Will this model still be cool 4 home production? Has any1 had any problems with a g5 when using it 4 music production? I wnt 2 use Logic express 7, Plz post me ur experiences with either the G5 or the Logic express 7.
    cheers

2. supergod macrumors 6502

First of all, learn to spell.

Hehe. On a serious note, I own a 1.6ghz G5 powermac and Logic Express 7.0.
    The computer itself is fine for handling Logic, although I have bumped it up to 1 gig of RAM and recommend you do the same, along with opting for the Radeon 9600 so that I can use a software overclock program that is available for ATI cards. Overall, performance on Logic is great and is especially a step up if you are coming from something like Garageband and even, in my opnion, Reason. You definitely will not need any more power than the powermac gives and you would be best going for it if it's the cheapest deal and saving your money for good studio monitors, controllers and microphones.

3. vtprinz macrumors 6502

I can run logic express on my ibook G3 800Mhz (640Mb RAM), and only occasionally run into problems with the CPU. I don't do a lot of heavy work in logic, but I do do a mix of audio recording and midi work. You should have no problem with the G5, provided you feed it with plenty o' memory

On another note, supergod, where do you find that overclock software, and what are the pros/cons of using it?