G5 new DUAL 1.8 Vs. old DUAL 1.8

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by dano the mano, Jun 29, 2004.

1. dano the mano macrumors newbie

YEs, i'm wondering what DP 1.8 i should go with. Should i get a first series DP 1.8 for 1799.00! or should i get the Rev. B for 1999.00. I see that you get 160 gig HD and 512 meg ram with the old one.. ? and with the new you only get a 8x superdrive?.. and less memory and HD?

What is the advantage of getting a NEW Rev. B g5?

-dan

2. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

javabear90

well if your going to be burning a lot of dvd's then you should go with rev b. Other wise go with rev a 1/2

3. ddtlm macrumors 65816

The new one would run cooler and quieter due to the 970fx's.

4. dano the mano thread starter macrumors newbie

dual g5 1.8

hey, well thanks for the heat and superdrive issues.. but that's really it?.. the Fx chip only runs cooler? Is it worth losing out on 256 more in RAm and 80 gig in HD? plus 200 bucks cheaper?

-d

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Refurbished machines are always going to be cheaper. If you're willing to risk a used machine, then go for it. Also, I think the older machine only comes with an ADC connector; you'd have to get an adapter for DVI.

6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

The older 1.8 dual also had 8 RAM slots verses the new one having 4.

7. dano the mano thread starter macrumors newbie

less SLOTS too?

SO the new one is kinda like a downgrade, except the 8x superdrive and a new fangled processor.

8. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

By the way, if you bought the old model, you could always just swap out the drive with the new superdrive....I believe they are available at Other World Computing for like $100.

9. dano the mano thread starter macrumors newbie

swap drive

if i were to swap it out would that void the warranty?

10. MEJ macrumors newbie

MEJ

Last I heard, the 1.8 GHz G5's are not 970fx CPUs.

11. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

Didn't the Rev A G5s come with both ADC and DVI? I know the Dual 2.0 did... Anyone know for sure?

I'd definitely get the old dual 1.8. Much better value for the money. Twice the RAM, twice the HDD, twice the space for RAM, $200 cheaper, upgradeable Superdrive. It's just a no brainer.

12. powerboy macrumors regular

The old 1.8 dual also has PCI-X slots. The new one has regular PCI slots.

13. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Does the 8x SDD really make a difference? What I mean by that is the media for DVD-R, the best price is for the 4x disks right now. Under a $1 each in 25 to 50 quantities and this is for the 4x disks. The only 8x media I have seen is for the Apple at $2 each.

14. dano the mano thread starter macrumors newbie

TRUE!!!

yeah, i did hear that the only 970FX chip is in the dual 2.5 is this true?

I guess the older one may be the best bang for the buck!

All i want to do is run Apple's MOTION program and i don't think my dual g4 450mhz will do the job. What do you think?

-dan

15. longofest Editor emeritus

longofest

No. apple lets you upgrade your machine, but just know that you won't be able to get AppleCare support until you return the machine to the condition it was in when they sent it to you (so, keep the old superdrive around). Also, note that iDVD requires an Apple Superdrive to run, so you would have to be very picky in which model of superdrive you upgrade to. It would have to be the same type that is in the new PowerMacs, or iDVD won't run.

16. osprey76 macrumors 6502

The Pioneer drive sold at OWC is the same as the primary source that Apple uses (Pioneer.) I bought one there for my Gigabit machine and it works like a charm.

The new Dual 1.8 G5 uses the same motherboard (or at least the same feature set) as the old Single 1.6 G5. Hence, the fewer RAM slots, standard PCI, etc.

17. ddtlm macrumors 65816

MEJ, dano the mano:

Hmm, well I guess I was assuming that they switched over to FX's. Since they are smaller they would be cheaper to make once yeilds or OK, I guess the question is if IBM can produce enough yet. Imagine how cool a dual 1.8 FX machine would run, mmmm.

18. dano the mano thread starter macrumors newbie

cooler

if their were actually Fx's in the low end models.. why would they need the same amount of fans to cool them?

19. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Doesn't look like the same motherboard anymore, Apple played some games underneath the hood with the HT PCI Tunnel (eliminated it) and dumped PCI onto the KeyLargo2.

So basically a lower bandwidth connection to PCI that is share by all KeyLargo2 I/O (and that's everything but memory and AGP.)

20. MrSugar macrumors 6502a

MrSugar

I would definitely go 1799 for the old 1.8. Hell if you are willing to spend the money get a Rev A dual 2.0, that's what I did and I love it. I have had no problems with the refurb unit, it runs perfectly. Plus I got a few freebies when I recieved it... save money and get a faster machine less DVD burning. Pretty easy descision I think.

21. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

whatever you do dont get a 5200 ultra it's a pile of poo about the same speed as a geforce 3 or a radeon 9000 it's crap get a 9600 and them save up to get a 6800 ddl when you have the cash

some of the latter rev. A's came with 8x superdrives so chances are you will get one

22. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

on motion

I believe that a 2.0 G5 is the suggested machine for Motion

23. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

New:
    Half the hard disk space
    Half the ram slots and ram total
    8x superdrive
    3 PCI Slots

Old:
    Double hard disk space
    double ram and total slots
    4x burner.
    3 PCI-X slots

note that both of them have the same video card, both with 1 adc and 1 dvi (don't know why someone said only adc). only thing a new one would have is that if any quirks or small kinks with the rev would most likely be worked out with rev b, but as many people here talk about, the g5 has been a really reliable machine. I would go with the old powermac, put the saved money into extra ram, another hard drive, or towards applecare.

iJon

24. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

two things, first is that the applecare situation is not true. you can add a third pary drive, and you can send it back, its just if its the cause of the problem that part wont be covered under warranty. second, idvd does not require a superdrive to run, just to burn.

iJon

25. coolguy1382002 macrumors newbie

but doesn't the rev a powermacs have a freezing problem ( i keep read about ) so i i buy the rev a do i run the risk of getting a bad system????

I really want one and i don't know which 1.8 to get b/c i'm worried that i'll get rev a with a freezing issue!!