G5 no video!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by abbazaba, Nov 4, 2004.

1. abbazaba macrumors newbie

I have a dual 2.0ghz G5 and I cant see anything. I went to turn it on, and it powers on OK, but there is no video. It even goes into sleep mode when I leave it idle for a little bit. I have tried other monitor cables that I know work for sure, and its not a monitor problem either. Anyone have any suggestions or input on what may be wrong and/or what I can do to fix this? The warranty expired about a week ago, so I'm really hoping its not a hardware problem. :eek:
    I know thats rather vague, but if you can think of anything I might try I'd be eternally grateful. THANKS

2. Muskie macrumors 6502

Muskie

Yes it is rather vague. Can you give us any more information? What kind of monitor are you trying to use? You say the warrantee expired, since you've had the computer long enough for the warrantee to expire what were you using before this monitor? Have you had any experience with the video working on this computer? Anything else?

Is everything plugged in (sorry, just have to ask)? Is there another monitor you can try?

3. abbazaba thread starter macrumors newbie

it is 17" crt monitor that i have plugged in, but I am using that monitor as we speak to post this with my PC. I tried using the DVI-RGB adapter that is working fine with my PC on my Mac with no luck. Everything is plugged in snuggly, so I am 100% positive that the problem is originating in the Mac and has nothing to do with cabling or the monitor. It was working completely fine until a few days ago, when I went to turn it on and got no video signal. Seems like a graphics board problem to me, but I'm not positive.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Most likely worth taking a look at the graphics card, to check to see if it's still properly seated.

May not have been fully seated when you first got it, and the heat cycles finally moved it to the point it no longer works.

There was quite a few poorly seated graphics cards and GPU heatsinks (nice noise pattern) in the G5s.

Remove and reinstall the graphics card.

---

However checking the pins on the plug/socket and card is a good idea also.

5. abbazaba thread starter macrumors newbie

I pulled the card out and wiped the AGP slot contacts on the card gently with an antistatic wipe...i reinserted the card making sure it was a snug fit and no dice. :( I may just have to replace the card

6. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

7. wbrowne1 macrumors member

FYI.... I had the same problem

I have a Rev. A Dual 2, and in September I had the same problem. DVD Studio Pro crashed, and on restart there was no video. Turns out the card was fried, but luckily I had 2 weeks left on the 1 year of Applecare so I got a new one for free.

ATI 9600, no prior trouble.

8. diamond geezer macrumors regular

Try unplugging the computer and then removing the battery from the logic board for 30 minutes.

9. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe