g5 not turning on...please help

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by taeclee99, Apr 3, 2004.

1. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

I just bought this four month old dual 1.8 g5. I have had nothing but problems since I brought this thing home. You see this thing does not power on. I press the power button and the power light goes on and off. Only once did this thing turn on when I jiggled the power cable. And even when it did power on that one time...i got no video signal with my lcd monitor as well as my crt. I think maybe the power supply and or motherboard might be bad. Anyone else experience similar problems? I am going to take this in to the apple store tomorrow and have the genius look at it. This mac did come with apple care after all.

I do not want to give it back to the seller because I got such a good deal on it. But If I must, I must.

I thought I bought an apple but instead ended up with a lemon! =(

2. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Common sense...

Yeah, I wouldn't return it to the seller either. I mean, come on, you got a great deal on a DEFECTIVE computer. As long as something is cheap, it doesn't matter how bad it is.
    Sounds like a windoze user....

3. taeclee99 thread starter macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

Sure this thing is defective. The fact is that I can get it fixed for free with apple care. I spoke to Apple Care on the phone...the rep said they will repair the unit. Considering the amount of money I saved, getting this thing fixed makes perfect common sense.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Pull the video card out of the machine, and then put it back in.

They occasionally shift when shipped, chance it may happen when you brought it home.

---

Or take it back to the dealer.

5. sausages macrumors newbie

hello

there has been a previous thread that talks about people who're in the same situation as you and i'm sure somebody will be able to link you to it....but yeah:

your problem lies with the power supply. from what i can remember, the powersupplies with the dual g5s in particular aren't very tolerant to 'dirty' power sources, or power that generally has 'fluctuating strengths'. this is probably because you don't live in the centre of town or other areas that you would expect to have a good sloid stream of power. basically, some / a lot of g5 power supplies aren't able to cope with 'dirty' sources of power and only sometimes boot when there is a power stream at the correct strength. if you take it into the apple shop to see what's wrong, chances it will boot up fine because the power source in the shop is better than what you've got at home.

tell the apple people what i've said here and ask if you can get the power supply replaced...i think they have a special program going to fix this problem....

best of luck man...i guess you could always buy a ups ;-) but i strongly discourage consumers from doing this because manufactures will then make their power supplies crap and if people have problems like this they'll say you should go and buy a ups...so it's just more crap you have to buy to get your computer to work :mad:

6. taeclee99 thread starter macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

Thanks for all the info regarding the power supply issue. I took the g5 into the apple store. They are going to test each component and replace them as needed. The repair is going to take up to ten days. Ten more days and then I will finally become a complete switcher. Can't hardly wait!

7. janey macrumors 603

janey

A UPS is probably the best thing you can buy for a computer.
    If you dont think so, just wait till your computer is destroyed or your data lost by some power-related thing. Then you'll wish you got a (merely) $100-200 UPS to make sure you dont lose your data or your computer.
    A surge protector just doesn't cut it.

8. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

The "windoze" and "cheap" comments were unnecessarily harsh. Anyway, what he did makes complete sense. He got a great deal on a product which has plenty of warranty left on it. He traded convenience (the thing working right off the bat) for spending less money and a couple of weeks without a "new" computer.

9. taeclee99 thread starter macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

I spoke with Apple Care today regarding status. They said they they just replaced the logic board and hardrive and in the process of putting Panther on it. It should be ready for pick-up tomorrow. I will let you guys know how everything goes.