Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

California

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
I got my second PCI X Powermac G5 Ultra OEM Mac 6800 DDL card yesterday.

Was displaying grey vertical lines at start up then static frame.

I googled around and decided to pull off the heat sink and fan to see if it might work without the accoutrements...

... it worked for one hot second, perfectly then flat nothing.

Did I burn out the card? It ran for thirty seconds, top. Tried it again, and nothing not even at start up.

So bummed, my other Ultra works great. Who can fix these things I wonder? Nvidia said I had to call Apple about fixing them!

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I got my second PCI X Powermac G5 Ultra OEM Mac 6800 DDL card yesterday.

Was displaying grey vertical lines at start up then static frame.

I googled around and decided to pull off the heat sink and fan to see if it might work without the accoutrements...

... it worked for one hot second, perfectly then flat nothing.

Did I burn out the card? It ran for thirty seconds, top. Tried it again, and nothing not even at start up.

So bummed, my other Ultra works great. Who can fix these things I wonder? Nvidia said I had to call Apple about fixing them!

Ouch California. Sounds like you probably did burn it up :( That 30 seconds was more than enough for the graphics card to get hot enough to burn itself into oblivion. I sure hope you didn't pay much for it? Did you buy it as Parts/Repair AS-IS?

Applying new thermal paste probably would have cured it from the artifacts or even tightening up the screws to the heatsink.

California

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
Poop. It can burn up that fast?

On a happier note, did you get the BT OrangeSVTguy?

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Those chips are very small so they have a small surface area so yes they would burn up really quick!

No I haven't received it yet, maybe tomorrow. My other package is probably stuck in customs in China somewhere :p

Try applying new thermal paste and reinstalling the heatsink. Does it work then? **Crosses fingers**

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
Never, ever, ever start any kind of CPU/GPU without a heatsink/fan.

As soon as you do, it will have no where for that heat to go and burn up within 2 seconds.

Unfortunately, your graphics card is toast, the best suggestion I can do for you is to find a 6800 on eBay for the G5, or any flashed 6800/7800 AGP PC card flashed with a Mac BIOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.