G5 on a PC network @ work?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by evil_santa, Jun 22, 2004.

1. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

I am looking to get a new G5 with FCP / DVD studio pro / Motion / Cleaner / Decklink Extreme for work . I have got the cost of the order approved by my manager, but the Operations Manager is unhappy having a Mac connected to the network / servers (I believe it is NT). Giving connectivity, printer & security issues as the main concerns. If anyone could offer me some advice on how to convince them that the G5 isn’t going to bring the entire company to a halt I would appreciate it.

Thanks eSanta.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Well, first of all, in about a month you'll be able to get Virtual PC 7, which will run on your G5 and make it seem like a PC. You won't need it, but your Operations Manager might feel better about it.

Secondly, there's no inherent problem with using a Mac on a PC network. I brought my G5 in to show it to the PC heathens at work last fall, and I could get access to anything I needed.

That said, it is possible to set up a network so it's unfriendly to any non-Windows devices, but that takes effort. By default, your Mac should work just fine. And, of course, you have the VPC7 as a fall-back option.

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

And, of course, there's no security problem - you're immune to Windows viruses, and there aren't any Mac ones - and, if there were, the PCs would be immune to them.

OS X supports VPNs, SSH, etc., so there should be absolutely no security issues whatsoever.

Of course, the problem is that your co-workers will start demanding Macs of their own, which could bankrupt the company. ;)

4. evil_santa thread starter macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

I did point out that theres no mac viruses, but got the "in the future there might be", & somthing about security bulletins talking about worms on osX :confused:

Its funny since ive been talikg about getting the G5 I found out who the mac lovers are :D

5. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Do you guys use Active Directory, or NT Domains of some sort? That might be his biggest problem, logging you into a Windows domain... Which would be a hassle for him, if he didn't know about join the domain with a mac... you might point him to this page:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/windows/
    There's a Technology Brief PDF there, as well.

Lee Tom

6. evil_santa thread starter macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

at the moment I have a g3 and use dave to log onto the network. I will find out about the active directory/NT domains when back at work tomorrow.