G5 Optimized Final Cut Pro, DVD Studio Pro, and Shake

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Nov 18, 2003.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001
    On top of a 20" iMac and Dual 1.8GHz PowerMac, Apple also released G5 optimized versions of Final Cut Pro, DVD Studio Pro and Shake:

2. macrumors regular

Jul 17, 2002
    Miami, USA
    This is finally gonna get me off my butt and get a G5. I was skeptical about raw processor boosts with no good software tro take advantage of 64 bit. This is cool...
  3. macrumors newbie

Jun 23, 2003
    finally....I'm thinking of starting my own edit suite this summer and with this news and the prospect that the G5's will be at 3ghz by the fall I'm most likely going to go with Final Cut. With the money I save not buying an Avid Adrenaline I should be able to get some X Serve Raid and maybe Shake. Apple has the chance here to really make a move on the Pro side (not just with people cutting offline with DV). This also gives me hope that I could buy a used G5 next year and add a second suite. Good move apple.
  4. macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc
  5. macrumors regular

Mar 25, 2003
    Let me guess..

Dual 1.8 (or single 1.8)
    Dual 2.0
    Dual 2.5 in January

Dual 2.0
    Dual 2.5
    Dual 3.0 in september

You would be crazy to buy a 1.6 Ghz now.. At least go with the dual 1.8 wich is good price/performance!

I will go with the Dual 2.5 in January.. I simply cannot wait until september! :D (and don't want a first generation dual 2.0)
  6. macrumors 65816

Feb 22, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Guess it is time to drop the dime and upgrade from FCP 3.
  7. macrumors member

Feb 1, 2003
    East Midlands, UK
    does shake=renderman?

im getting confused. is shalke the same as renderman? it just seems they are both used on the same films e.g lotr and ice age as well as many more.

now that renderman ois on the mac, why is apple making it so hard for pixar to compete?
  8. macrumors 603

Jun 19, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Re: G5 Optimized Final Cut Pro, DVD Studio Pro, and Shake

Hence the reason I will be waiting for a G5 to show up in a PowerBook.

G5 optimized

You are going to see that moniker more frequently now that the G5 is THE CPU of choice.
  9. macrumors regular

Aug 8, 2003
    Is it just me?

Is it just me, but look at that monitor on the Pro software page, it doesn't look like any of the current Apple cinema displays to me.

Edit: Now that I am looking at it more closely it is a cimema display. I need some cofee...
  10. macrumors member

Oct 22, 2001
    Re: does shake=renderman?

shake and renderman are two TOTALLY different animals for absolutely different things. One is for movie editing and another for 3D rendering.
  11. macrumors newbie

Feb 4, 2003
    Does anyone else think the LCD screen on the Pro Tools page looks 'different'?

...Maybe I'm just too eager for new displays :(
  12. macrumors 68020

Jul 16, 2002
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Re: Re: does shake=renderman?

Not editing my friend, Shake is a compositing application. It works like this:

In a program like Maya, a person would create a 3D character and animate it.

Then Renderman is used to change the chunky low texture character into a smooth good looking character.

Then it is passed to Shake to composite (or overlay) the character into a scene.

So Gollum was modelled in Mirai and animated in Maya. Then it was passed to Renderman to look more like a person than a 3d character then finally to Shake to put it in the scene.

Make sense?

13. macrumors 6502a

Nov 3, 2003
    CD: TX-14

Here I am in college majoring in RTVF, using FCP begging for 4.0 for X-mas and now they put the next part of 4 out of my reach. I have a 1.0 GHZ iMac, which I know is not the ideal Pro computer, but they put my fav. tool just out of use for me. I'm sad now.:( I want a G5. Maybe in 3-4 years when there's 4.0 GHZ light based G5s or something.
  14. macrumors G5

May 2, 2002
    I don't think this update makes G4 users miss out on any new features. Only G5 optimization. Go ahead and get FCP4... it's great and comes with Soundtrack, possibly my favorite Mac app!
  15. macrumors regular

Jul 1, 2002
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    G5 Optimizations don't mean it doesn't run on a G4. It just means it runs that much better on the G5.

16. macrumors demi-god

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles

FCP is used for a lot more than offline DV cuts and has been a serious Avid threat sense FCP 3 came out. FCP itself is completely resolution indenpendent so it can handle anything you throw at it (assuming of course you have hardware that can handle it). Off the top of my head, the TV show Scrubs, and the movies Intolerable Cruelty (Clooney & Zeta-Jones) and Cold Mountain (due out in Dec) were/are being cut w/FCP.

17. macrumors newbie

Sep 29, 2003
    I bought too early

Unreal. I buy a 1.8 G5 in September for $2399 just as theycome out and now $100 more buys me a dual G5. I feel stupid and on top of that I was supporting Apple with their new product and not even 3 months later they offer a dramatic upgrade!
  18. macrumors 6502a

Nov 3, 2003
    CD: TX-14
    oh well in that case . . . w00t!

Still a G5 . . .mmm . . .

anyone know if Lord of the Rings was done on FCP, I know they used Shake, but that's all I know (that Apple near the end of the credits is nice)

Just curious, I got the Extended Edition last night.
  19. macrumors newbie

Sep 29, 2003
    Are single 1.8 Ghz G5 upgradable?

Does anyone know if single 1.8 Ghz G5 machines are capable of being upgraded to a dual? Is there room inside or is it set up that way so that eventually if they ofer it you could buy a second G5 chip and pop it in there?

Just got off the phone with Apple. Nope. If you bought a single 1.8 G5 it can't take another chip. Thanks Apple for luring in the first buyers.
  20. macrumors 6502a

Nov 26, 2002
    sunny san diego
  21. macrumors 6502

Jul 18, 2002
    24 as well...notice the G5 in his office. They use 17" powebooks, then render on an X-Serve.
  22. macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2002
    Middle Earth
    Re: Are single 1.8 Ghz G5 upgradable?

That truly sucks CB. I'm sorry to hear that. I don't blame you for venting but enjoy your Powermac you got a good machine and it'll be just as fast as the Duallie in non MP aware apps.
  23. macrumors member

Nov 7, 2003
    You should have known better...

Why anyone would buy a single processor Power Mac is beyond me... Apple was selling way more DP 2.0s, hence the hurried updates.

But your single chip 1.8s are still useful! Just not hyper-awesome-kickass fast like a DP machine!
  24. macrumors member

May 8, 2001
    powerbook g5

im gonna wait until the g5 moves to the powerbook..... maybe another year.
  25. macrumors demi-god

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Re: I bought too early

Actually the G5's went on sale in June. So this update keeps in line w/their usual 6 month product cycle.

The next big thing is always around the corner so don't sweat it.