G5 or G4?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by DavidFDM, Sep 12, 2003.

1. DavidFDM macrumors regular

Jan 26, 2002
    Maine, USA
    I work from home and love the flexibility but I've just been approached to share office space with a Creative Director. (I'm an Art Director.) I think I am going to do it. Now, I need to setup a new workstation for the office. I am thinking of the 1.8 G5 and 20" display but I know I can get a MDD G4 and save a few bucks. The G4 would be plenty fast enough but I do need to take the long view of several years down the road. I know I do not want a PowerBook; I plan to use my iPod or a FireWire hard drive to shuttle files back and forth. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

- David
  2. CMillerERAU macrumors regular

May 12, 2003
    Fresno, CA (Prescott, AZ for school)
    My only concern with the G5 is that it is currently incompatible with VirtualPC. If you would like to use windows emulation at all, go for the G4. Personally I'd get a top-of-the-line G4 for work, the first batch of anything (especialy computers) tend to be buggy and is always good to wait until the second revision is made.
  3. tomf87 macrumors 65816

Sep 10, 2003
    Re: G5 or G4?

Pardon my ignorance, but was does MDD mean? My company is acronym heavy that I can't remember any of them anymore.
  4. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    Re: Re: G5 or G4?

MDD means Mirrored Drive Door... In other words the new G4 powermacs that have two optical drive bays