G5 or Intel iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TheDance511, Feb 17, 2007.

1. TheDance511 macrumors 6502

Hey all, Well today is the big day! I finally saved up enough money for my first Mac($1500 budget)! im so excited!:D My only problem is I just can't make my mind up over an Intel iMac or an older Power Macg5... I want to use it for light video editing and web browsing and very light gaming... I like the fact that with the G5 you can upgrade it easily.. (I plan to buy a mac pro when 8 core comes out) anyhow what would be better for these tasks? Feed back ? :apple:

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

iMac Intel or Mac Pro...

Was it that hard? Why do you need an 8-core Mac Pro anyways?

3. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

What upgrades are you actually going to want to do to your computer? Think carefully as to whether you need that capability. The Intel iMac is far superior in many ways - the only drawback being that expandability on video cards, more internal HDs etc. I would say get the iMac, and don't look back. :) Enjoy it - I love mine.

4. TheDance511 thread starter macrumors 6502

I make independent movies... film stuff..plus im in college to be a camera operator and i like to run thsoe types of applications and i like fast computers..macs:apple:

5. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

imac...for now it will be great, when you graduate sell the imac and get a mac pro

6. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

I would get an iMac, they are already a powerful machine so it would be fine for now and then later if you feel like it sell it and buy whatever esle is new.

7. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

Oops, I misread it- I say definitely go with the iMac..

8. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Either machine would work great for you TheDance511. :)

The big of the advantage of the Power Mac G5 is the ability to upgrade. Faster video cards then are available on the iMacs, the ability to install a heck of a lot more RAM, and more than one HDD.

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The Power Mac G5 only has RAM and drive space that you can upgrade though...

10. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

The video cards are certainly upgradeable as well...

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You're stuck with the X800XT AGP or the X1900.

12. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

Get the iMac, no question. Chances are you won't need to upgrade it for a long time. The G5, no matter how much you upgrade it, will probably always be slower than an Intel processor, and if Adobe's recent apps are any indication, you will be left behind when apps go Intel-only.

13. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

I would get the G5 iMac. You'll be getting an intel mac later, why not havea PowerPC one sitting around? I think my Powerbook was much more reliable than my MBP (especially with sleeping habits) and so I bought an old Powerbook as a server since I knew I could trust its reliablitity when it would be set up far away from where I am now. I wouldn't yet trust an intel mac to stay on remotely for an indefinite amount of time.

14. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Choose Intel.
    Choose lot of of RAM.
    Choose a FW 800 HD
    Choose a f**king big 24" iMac.

15. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Both of which are better than the stock card in the iMac.

16. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

Unless you can get a G5 really cheap, go with the Intel. On top of everything, the iMac would allow you to run an occasional windows app/game. Plus, iMac takes way less space on the desk, which is a "gi-hugic" plus.

I myself have an older iMac (G5) and people still compliment me on a nice display and then ask where the "system block" is... Oh those PC people... :rolleyes:

17. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I meant it's a dead end to go with a Power Mac G5 over a Mac Pro when it comes to upgrading.

18. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Especially if you get an older PCI-X model, since any upgrades are trashed when you go to the new machine.

If you need Classic or more than 3GB of memory, buy the PowerMac G5 -- otherwise an Intel iMac should work just as well.

Face it, the only thing you will take with you when you upgrade to a Mac Pro is the drives and monitor (if you get the PowerMac) anyway.

Isn't a real big difference if they are in cases or bare drives.

19. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

I think with your budget, i think a PMG5 is out of range. Not to mention, the iMacs are much faster with the intel chips.

20. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I agree 100%. But the OP seemed to be weighing the pros and cons of going with an iMac or a Power Mac G5, and then buying a Mac Pro at a later date. So between the iMac and the Power Mac G5, the G5 is the winner IMHO. :)

21. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'd go with the iMac Vs. Power Mac G5.

22. erikpmort macrumors regular

erikpmort

Are you the kind of guy that keeps his computer till death, or do you sell them after a couple years and upgrade? that being said that will tell you how important the upgradableness of the G5 is. I still say intel is the way to the future