G5 Original Disks

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ITASOR, May 10, 2005.

1. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

My friend bought a G5 recently and and had to return it for something. Apple told them to keep the disks and just send the computer. It was a hard drive issue I guess, and they reinstalled Tiger for him. Well anyway, they sent him all the system disks again. He said I could have his old ones, but I didn't get to ask him any questions. What are the system disks? Would I be able to use them to install Tiger on my G4? Maybe a nice person with a G5 could list the system disks for me. :)

Even if there's no tiger disk, couldn't I just use the restore disks? My G4 has a clean HD, so I would need to be able to boot off the disk...hmm..

Any help is appreciated! If I can't do this I'll just buy Tiger.

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Assuming they're Tiger disks, you certainly could use them to install 10.4 on your G4, but....

The problem is that the disks supplied with specific machines are often tailored for that specific piece of hardware. So using the G5 disks on your G4 could cause you problems further down the road – or alternatively, they could work perfectly. There's no real way of knowing how it will run on your set up.

Another issue is the legality. I'm certain Apple won't have intended for the original disks to be passed on to a third party – I imagine they told your friend not to bother returning them because it's easier for them to send out a fresh, up-to-date set with each machine rather than keep track of who has returned what.

On both counts, it's your call. ;)

3. icsedge1 macrumors member

icsedge1

one more little thing...if they are Tiger disks, they are dvds. just in case you are lacking the Combo drive on your G4.

sedge

4. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

Thanks for the prompt replys gues, I appreciate it!

It has a super-drive, so the DVD will be no problem. :p

As for the CD's...I think they're just G5 Restore disks. Tiger is only 79.99 with edu discount, so I'm not to worried. :)