G5 Powerbook thoughts

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Chip NoVaMac, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Apple has indicated it will be awhile for a PB G5. I assume that heat and size issues are the deciding factor.

Thought for those that want a G5 PB now. Would you accept a PB Maxi G5? Something that is double the thickness of the current PB's?

2. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

No one would buy a double-thickness PB just to get a G5. Apple has no plan to "settle" an make a Dell knockoff. The technology is worth waiting for. Yes, even another year. The G4 Powerbooks are still fantastic machines.

3. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

there is absolutely nothing wrong with the current G4s in the powerbooks, yes yes yes they are older chips, but they run at fine speeds for laptops. Let apple do it right instead of ushering out an inferior product to appease some people, and if apple were to do this we would just hear complaints of how un-like apple this is and what a horrible design and the like

5. Florida Gator macrumors regular

I want a slim powerbook that doesnt have to be a monster in power, but not using such dated technology. Id like something that will last awhile into the next generation. Personally, I dont want a G5, I want some type of centrino setup.

6. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

I'd like to reiterate this. There are many who believe that the G4 is an old, crippled processor that can't even run photoshop. This is completely wrong. The 1.5GHz G4 is blazing fast and with a gig of ram it purrs.

7. wide macrumors 6502a

yeah, that is true, but in comparison to other processors that have also been out for over a year (pentium-m), the G4 is a piece of crap. not to say that it is slow, it is fast, but apple charges way too much for it. i don't think we will be seeing a powerbook g5, but rather a powerbook using motorola's to-be-released e600 or, preferably, e700 processors

8. Calvinatir macrumors 6502

Calvinatir

For me, and i assume many others, the look and feel of the Powerbook G4 sold us. I would never have bought an Apple laptop if it didn't look the way it does. I personally think my 17" is the best looking laptop I have ever seen. The looks i get from classmates and other people are amazing, and i have actually switched many people just be showing them the PB. Apple better not make it plastic-like or thicker, they will lose their sexyness

9. Belly-laughs macrumors 6502a

Belly-laughs

As long as they´re 33% faster?

I´m awaiting Moto´s promise of a blazing fast G4 derivative, the e600!

10. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Something like that :D

But I do agree, I would be very happy with an e600 since people say it will fix the bus speed issue.

11. MyLeftNut macrumors regular

I can attest to the 17" 1.5Ghz 1 GIG of RAM...situation. I have been pleasantly surprised at how good it is. With the revision C most of the kinks have been sorted out and the package as a whole is by far the best expeience I have on a computer.

That doesnt mean to say I wouldnt like more processing power but I think were reaching the limit of that argument for what most people do. I can see though the great thing about the next generation of powerbooks, knowing apple, would be all the other technologies that might come online like fuel cells? or OLED technology or dual hard drives which could be packaged in something even slimmer than the current PB. Now that would make any PC user cream their pants...

12. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

I've got a 1.25ghz 15" G4 Powerbook, and other than the fact that I've had so many screen problems with it (nothing to do with the computer itself), I couldn't be happier with it. For the things I do, this computer is plenty fast.

Once G5's are in Powerbooks, I'll probably buy a 12" model just because I like the form factor and the portability of it. I'll probably keep my 15" G4 and use it for the times I need a bigger screen, or maybe I'll use it for my home stereo system. It's been a wonderful computer.

13. Coolvirus007 macrumors regular

The processor maybe a bit dated and the price is a bit too high but performance is excellent. If you think that there is a way to compress that huge heat sink into a powerbook shape, then there is a chance of a G5 powerbook coming out soon.

Other than than, it would be nice if apple came out with a centrino-like, 64-bit processor laptop for a portability line. The powerbooks are mean to be a desktop replacement.

And I would definitely NOT accept a "maxi" (wtf) a powerbook or one that is "33%" thicker.

14. Nemesis macrumors regular

Nemesis

Confirm that!

I confirm all that! New PowerBooks running at 1.5 GHz are awesome machines!

1. They're ultrathin - in fact, they cannot be thinner at all - the size of ports determines their thickness and they're barely higher than Ethernet port itself!
    2. They're ultraquiet - Gee, I can hardly hear hard-drive operating! I have to come very close, put my ears on cold aluminium and listen carefully ...
    3. They're ultracool. Cold as cold aluminium. No heat at all. Amazing!
    4. They're ultrafast. I do massive Photoshop work on it and it blazes like a rocket! I design great websites on it and I got great performance. (For 3D modelling, first get realistic and then buy yourself DualG5s with huge screens guys!)

And I'm not gonna sacrifice all those beautiful things just to have bulky G5 in it! No way!

When people are saying that G4 are slow, they simply don't know what are they talking about. In real world, those new PowerBooks can surpass many desktop machines and in many respects -- I cannot notice any difference in performance between my 1.5 GHz PowerBook and Dual 1.25 G4 at work!

Maybe this is the last update of G4 PowerBooks - well, things go on, but I surely own a remarkable piece of hardware - now!

PowerBook G4, 17", 1.5 GHz is a masterpiece of engineering and currently the best laptop in the world. Period!

15. Belly-laughs macrumors 6502a

Belly-laughs

yup :) Whatever comes next, I´m sure Apple has a plan. The current G4 can´t be taken to any higher clock speed so no-one would blame anyone for expecting a chip change in the next revision. When the next rev will be announced is another question. But no more G4s, I don´t think.

16. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Somehow I think this is what a 2+ GHz PPC970 in a PowerBook would look like on the Performance setting.

[​IMG]

17. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Keep in mind i see no issues for myself with the PB G4's. I was just wanting to see how far someone go to accept a G5 in their PB.

18. mainstreetmark macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

my 1.3Ghz powerbook already runs at a pretty steady 127º, which means i have to stick a pillow between it and my manhood to be able to comfortably compute.

The exhaust from the cooling mechanism of a G5 book would be a suitable replacement for my gf's hairdryer.

"here, honey, let me fire up Folding, and you can hold this thing to your head"