G5 PowerBook when?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by macphoria, Jun 23, 2003.

1. macphoria macrumors 6502a

macphoria

When do you think we will see G5 PowerBook? Next June?

And how much faster will G4 get before switching to G5? 1.2Ghz? 1.4Ghz? Or will 1Ghz G4 be the last G4 on a PowerBook and next upgrade will be G5?

2. maraczc macrumors member

The PPC 970 are cheaper for Apple. And the G4 is near the end of it's life. It would seem logical that Apple give them G5s on the next revision but that might hurt Powermac sales. I say the revision after that.

That is if Apple wishes to keep Powerbooks affordable. Otherwise it would damage Powermac sales even if they wouldn't give the low end Powerbook a worse graphics card, worse drive, and other such things than the Powerbook and raised the price to $3000 CND alot of people would still be buying the Powerbook over the Powermac.

Or maybe I'm wrong and Apple will surprise us with a 1-1.2 GHZ Powerbook line for $3000 at Create. :cool:

3. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Re: G5 PowerBook when?

I expect that the next processor for PowerBooks will be the 1.2 GHz to 1.4 GHz PPC 970. The G4 cannot be pushed to higher clock speeds for laptops because they would dissipate too much heat. The MPC 7455 stops at 1 GHz--the faster towers that Apple used to sell were actually just overclocked.

4. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Me thinks that apple will introduce pb at create next month. About 1.2-1.4Ghz g5's

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Re: Re: G5 PowerBook when?

Yes it was rather shameful of Apple to actually use processors for 3-4 months and hog the entire supply.

But Motorola does sell these chips, they're NOT overclocked in the towers.

If Apple had these 3-4 months before the rest of the market, the cooler G4 7457s should be available now or soon, while the smaller process 970s are still a bit away.

See the updated 7455 parts that were added to the list this month (wow, parts above 1GHz) :p ...