G5 powerbooks new form factor??

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Grokgod, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

I want the G5 powerbook! dont you but not with ALU!

I hated the ALubooks, now when I say hate I do not say this loosely.

I mean I hated them.
    I had 3 of them.

I also had white spots on screen, defective body around plastic rim.
    and ugly video problems and screen redraws!

Now this may sound weird, but the way that they felt was nasty to me.
    The Alu was making my palm skin feel very weird! tingling and nasty.

Now of course I want the G5 Powerbook when it arrives, if it arrives.
    But is it going to have a ALu form factor?

Now I would think that there is NO way that the Laptop of the freaking century is NOT going to have its own Form factor, but with what materials?

I personally do not think that the ALU books were that popular and that the Ti's were and are still sellign very well. They hold their value and sell well on Ebay.

What are the opinions out there about the arrivals of the new G5's and what materials or form factors will appear?

Maybe color, some kind of process to set it apart from the ALU.

2. johnnowak macrumors 6502

3. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

considering PB G5 followed form to use Al, it wouldn't be that surprising to see PB G5 also stay the same course and use Al.

i personally find anodized Al casing very appealing. certainly better than painted Ti.

if you really had tingley problem with Al, it could be mild electrical shocks or you are allergic to Al. (never heard of that one... i've heard of nickel allergy, but not Al. how do you drink your soda?)

4. Grokgod thread starter macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

I actually never drink soda's

I didnt think that this was Pointless Rant, maybe a rant but Pointless.

Now,, what was my point?

Oh yea! i was just trying to get some opinons on wether people thought
    that the new G5's were going to be made with the ALu method.

Maybe someone has heard something or had some ideas or experiences similar to mine.

I think that I am allergic to Alu, it could be possible.

I am that weird.... and that is also my point

5. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

I like the current design but a nice dark alum one with a raised rather than smooth surface could be appealing. I am thinking really fine inch or cm wide lattice/check, half a mill or something, to provide grip, better heat dispersal, but still easy to wipe down and appealing to the eye...

6. IndyGopher macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

I would like to see them return to something more organic-looking like the Pismo powerbooks. When they brought out the G4 Titaniums, the reason given for them being so square and boxy was that the material used (Ti) wouldn't allow them the subtle curves and such that the Pismos possessed. At the time I was pretty confident that this was basically BS... and now that they aren't using Ti anymore, I would like to see this addressed.

For reference, I believed and still believe that Steve was so geeked up about making it 1" thick that he didn't care how flat and generic it had to be to get it there. Some will argue that the new designs look more professional and business-like, but I think they are confusing "boring" and "business-like". I don't see any corporate purchase orders for Sony Vaio notebooks getting nixed because the machines are a couple hideous shades of purple.

7. arf macrumors member

arf

G5 pbk case

Piano black, polished feel, somewhat like the iBooks

8. switcheroo macrumors newbie

hmm, i'd quite prefer my G5 powerbook with ALU included.

9. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Well that's probably most likely because this is the Mac Year of Music ;) :D

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Attached Files:

11. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

how about a nice mahogany case? it would certainly age well, as long as you oiled it occasionally.

12. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

A darker metal color would be nice... like gunmetal grey (not that I'm into guns or anything). Or just keep the color of the aluminum... I don't really care as long as it's fast. :)

I probably won't be getting a G5 PowerBook when they come out anyways. It looks like the next revision will still have a G4, and I need a new PowerBook soon, so I'll probably get one of those.

13. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

black matte finish with a red apple red sleep light and red backlight on the keyboard. i dont know about you, but there seems to be some craze with blue lights.

but if you just want a different color, go to http://www.colorwarepc.com/products/select_apple.aspx

14. g30ffr3y macrumors 6502a

g30ffr3y

aluminum is for the pro machines now... the powermac is aluminum... im sure the g5 powerbook will stay aluminum...

15. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I know there have been some problems with AluBooks (especially 15'' ones) but the form factor of the AluBook is the best of any laptop ever, imo. Even far better than the TiBooks.

Have you ever looked and an AluBook and TiBook side by side and compared them just by appearance and how sturdy they are?

16. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

I have always thought that the Pismos looked so much better looking than the Ti & Ai PBooks. If I had the money to toss around, I'd buy a Pismo solely on how pretty it is. I'd like to see a return to the classic look of the PBooks but it's probably not going to happen due to Apple wanting to keep the Pro line looking pro. However, since the iMac and iBooks are supposed to be the "fun" machines, why not bring back the different color schemes from the G3 iMacs and the Clamshell iBooks? If they decide to keep the dome look, release it in different colors and do the same with the iBooks. Keep the Pro line pro, but make the consumer line wild and exciting...which is what made the G3 iMacs so appealing.

17. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    y is grokgod banned? am i allowed to ask that? :confused:

18. phonic pol macrumors regular

New materials

Either machined from a solid block of stainless steel - heavy and expensive but awesome or a lightweight carbon-fibre shell - feather light and still awesome.

Or they could use some lightweight metallic Nasa derivative to bypass G5 heat problems!

19. Maritan macrumors regular

:D

20. Grokgod thread starter macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

back not banned anymore, mommy spanked me.

HeY! Iiii'mmmmm Baaacckkk! Yeah!

Ok back but there are watching eyes, so I can't discuss it or Big brother will whack me.

ok, on to the Alubook...and the G5!

GunMetal that sounds great!

I have compared the two Powerbooks ALU and Ti and I still like the Ti.

First the ALU heats up MUCH more in the palm rest areas!
    It was quieter thats for sure than the Ti's fans.

But the ALU had so many screen problems and video problems.

I found that the extra width despite the fact that it wasnt THAT much thicker, it still felt THICK compared to the Ti.
    Wasn't the 17 inch only 1 inch thick.

BUt isnt the issue that its the FIRST G5 laptop.
    Its cant be the same as the ALUbooks.

It has to scream G5 LAPTOP! LOOK AT ME!

I am sure that APPLE want to make sure that everyone knows what a G5 laptop looks like and doesnt confuse them with the ALUbooks.

If there are 2 more speed bumps till the g4 is put to sleep for the Powerbooks, that should be enough to use up all the ALU cycle.

How about a cheese grater bottom with a transparent lid with big red letters under it saying G5

21. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

No no no...

I don't want the G5 powerbook to be any material at all. I expect a virtual reality type of interface, with the actual tangible item to be just the G5 chip and a light emitting diode that can project displays in 3D, write and read any type of disk as well.

22. Grokgod thread starter macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

I really think that there HAS to be a form factor change and in materials also. I want the rear plugins to return. What are the hopes of that happening?

I think a return to plastic would be better, and some color! :p

23. szark macrumors 68030

szark

Plastic? Yecch! They need to use Liquidmetal!

24. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I rather like the square-ish design of the PBs, but I think a change with some curves in needed. I would love to see a carbon fiber case. Not sure how well it work functionaly, but style whise it would be very cool.

I used to read a sight called macwhispers.com It was a guy who made Apple accesories, I think, but he talked to many apple parts suppliers in Asia. He often got tidbits of info, about casings and things like that. Always made for good reading, and speculation. Site is no longer up though, which is to bad. It would be nice to try and get some insight on the new PB cases

25. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

if you have ever seen polished titainium YOU WOULD WANT YOUR POWERBOOK TO BE MADE OF IT

it's so shiney and perfect man that would be cool