g5 powermac.....decision...

Discussion in 'Community' started by NusuniAdmin, Jan 25, 2004.

  1. macrumors 6502a


    Nov 19, 2003
    I am planning to buy a powermac g5 pretty soon (in june). I am wondering, since new revisions are bound to come soon should i get the new or old. The current line of g5 should be cheaper when the new lineup comes....but. Should I spend more and get more bang for the buck. I really dont care about the power of it because anything is better than my beige g3. I know that the current lineup wont be slower cause new ones come...but I dont know. Should i go new or go old. I am currently in 9'th grade so soon I will be in college. So most likely I will trade the G5 in and put the cash toward a g5 (or g6) powerbook in 4 years before i goto college. The reason I don get pbook now is cause they have issues....plus they have g4 still, and probly will when i goto buy a new computer in june.


    P.S. I plan on upgrading the ram to 512 megs (minimum) when i get the g5. So maybe the older g5's would be better?
  2. job
    macrumors 68040


    Jan 25, 2002
    in transit
    If I were still in 9th grade, I would wait until the summer of my senior year before buying anything.

    That way you get the best right before you go to college.
  3. thread starter macrumors 6502a


    Nov 19, 2003
    yes but....

    I actualy NEED a new computer. It is kind of wierd to hear a 14 year old say they need one but i actualy do, its not a want. My beige g3 can barely run studio mx 2004, which i use for my web design. I also do cocoa programming and such and the beige is nearly dead from thaat. If it wus not for those i probly would just hold off until 12'th grade.

    If the g5 pbooks do come out before i goto buy then i will just get one of those.

    If it dont then i will just get a g5 pmac (most likely dual 1.8 or single 1.6) and then trade it in before college for a pbook, since if i (errr my dad) spends like 1,500 bux for the g5 pmac in 4 years we could probly still get like 1,000+ dollars for it, which would be a nice down payment on a pbook. I would say 500 dollars lost over 4 years aint too bad, look at x86, in 4 years you would havee wasted 1000+ dollars hahahahaha.
  4. macrumors 68040


    Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc
    get a new one... first runs of anything are usually a bad idea... pluse the revisions might have other upgrades besides just cpu speed...
  5. macrumors P6


    Oct 20, 2002
    I would also suggest that you get the Rev. B G5. There are bound to be improvemnets in design. The price might also be lowered in the new model. If you are going to spend that kind of money, then it is always best to get the newest available. ;)

Share This Page