G5 PowerMac single 1.8GHz

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Runaway, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Runaway macrumors newbie

I know it was reported that the single 1.8GHz PowerMac had been dropped from the online store, but I've noticed that it is STILL listed for sale here on the Australian online store, with a shipping time of 1-2 days.
    Being the cheapest PM in the line, is it worth grabbing one before they vanish altogether?

2. Ryan T. macrumors 6502a

Ryan T.

I <3 my PM G5 1.6GHz.

They're almost as quick as the much more expensive dual CPU's for most everyday things and are way more expandable than the iMac, especially if you like being able to choose your display.

I recommend it :)

3. risc macrumors 68030

risc

It really depends on what you want to do with it, IMHO the 17" iMac G5 2.0 GHz Super Drive is better value, you get a faster processor, faster front side bus, a better video card, twice the RAM, twice the HDD space, a dual layer DVD burner, a 17" monitor for $100 less than the Power Mac, you can save even more if you go to some where like http://streetwise.com.au/

You really need to weigh up what you are going to do with it, but like I said IMHO the iMac G5 is a much better deal.

4. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

If you have already got a monitor to go with it or you are not a fan of the all-in-one design then go with the powermac. If not, get the iMac since it is a better value for your dollar. Either machine is awesome so you really can't loose ;)

5. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

My advice is that you should buy a DUAL 1.8 GHz PowerMac. (lowend from the prev. generation)

It has nearly the same price as single 1.8, but it's dual ;)

For example here, in Russia, single 1.8 costs approx. 1900$ while dual is 2100$

6. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

By the way, did you know which Mac is top seller in Russia? Right. Dual 1.8 :D

7. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

Have a VERY good think about your future expansion requirements. That is all the single 1.8GHz PowerMac G5 system is relevant for at the moment. If you can live without some of the expansion capacity offered by the PowerMac, the iMac G5 comprehensively stomps all over it in terms of value for money and specification. You get a 2GHz G5 CPU (only 1.8GHz for PowerMac), 512MB RAM (only 256MB for PM), a 128MB Radeon 9600 (only 64MB nVidia FX 5200 for PM), a 160GB hard drive (only 80GB for PM), Airport Extreme (none in PM), Bluetooth (none in PM), and of course, you get a 17" widescreen LCD with the iMac, versus nothing with the PowerMac.

The clincher? The 2GHz 17" iMac costs AU $100 less than the PowerMac.

Look at the expansion capacity of the PowerMac. How much RAM are you likely to need. More than the 2GB offered by the iMac? How much hard drive space? Remember the PowerMac has only a single additional internal drive bay, and you are starting with only 80GB, instead of 160GB in the iMac. Also note that the hard drive in the iMac is user-replaceable. What PCI cards might you add? Any? Are you likely to spend many hundreds of dollars in the future upgrading the video card in the PowerMac? While the video card in the iMac can't be upgraded, it is already faster than the PowerMac and comes with twice the VRAM. Do you really require a separate CPU/monitor setup, or can you deal with an all-in-one system.

Just a few thoughts...the difference in value between the 17" iMac G5 and the 1.8GHz PowerMac G5 is so vast at the moment that you really, really need to weigh up the expansion advantages the PowerMac possesses over the iMac carefully.

8. Runaway thread starter macrumors newbie

Damn, I can't seem to win :)
    I'm scared off the iMac because of the apparant high failure rate with that model - both Rev A and B seem prone to hardware problems.
    If I had the guts to risk it, I'd get the iMac.

9. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

Heh, yeah it's a tricky decision :) I haven't heard many reports about Rev B iMac G5s having problems, but who knows. If it makes you feel any better (or worse), my 1.6GHz G5 PowerMac was dead-on-arrival when I first got it back in September 2003, and I had to send it back and wait another 2 weeks for Apple Australia to send me a replacement. About 6 months later, the PowerMac started exhibiting the 'black screen of death' problem, which required the Radeon 9600 video card be replaced. That took a few days, and my G5 was returned with a nice, big scratch down the side.

So no class of machine is immune from problems. It's difficult to gauge how well a product is doing by reading support forums, since it's usually only those with problems who make any posts.

If you'd really prefer to go with a PowerMac, have you considered a second-hand system through eBay or something similar? You might be able to pick up an older generation single 1.6 or 1.8GHz model, or dual 1.8GHz system at a good discount compared to the new single 1.8GHz model. It's just such poor value for money at the moment that it would really be a shame to see someone buy it unless they absolutely couldn't live without the expansion capacity (and let's face it, it's so underspecced at the moment that you'd need to start taking advantage of that expansion capacity almost from the outset).

10. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

Seems like you are on the fence at the moment. I wouldn't worry about the failure rates of iMac's - just remember that the only people who have problems with them talk about it.

The question you need to ask yourself is the possibility of expanding your computer. Let's say in a couple of years - yes the Macintels will be here, BUT you may need a bigger hard drive and a better GFX chip and some more RAM. You are stuck with an iMac's GFX and 2Gb RAM limit. 2Gb is not that big now days - the PowerMac can take 4 Gb and you can throw a new GFX in to give it a new lease of life.

Go dual G5 if you can mind you, you will never look back at single CPU's again.

aussie_geek

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

If that's all you're afraid of just buy AppleCare. I have a friend who has a Rev. A 20" 1.8 iMac and hasn't had a problem with it. Upgraded to 1GB of RAM and they couldn't be happier. Buy a refurb if they have them if you're still unsure.

12. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

Just as a general point for other non-Australian readers in this forum, Apple Australia doesn't offer refurb machines.

13. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Ah, that was supposed to be (if they have them), but yeah, I wasn't sure. That sucks. Anybody else there offer refurbs. Maybe those hippies (not that I have anything against hippies) should be protesting in AU. Where else do all of the fixed and returned machines go? :p

14. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

At this point I would try to find a NEW 2004 RevB 2.0 dual G5.

Model # VPN-M9455LL/A

You should be able to find one easily at resellers for $1899 and argue down the cost to $1749US.

The Rev B 2.0 still uses the PRO motherboard
    unlike the dual 1.8 and the newer 2005 Rev C 2.0
    that use the prosumer motherboards.

15. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

The UK store only has them on Wednesday's and quite often it's only refurb ipods and powermacs. I've NEVER seen a refurb G5 imac on there.

16. Ryan T. macrumors 6502a

Ryan T.

Whoever said to look for second hand is correct.

I just bought my Powermac 1.6 SP for $800. You can't beat that with a stick.

The iMac is great, but I like the idea of being able to hook up my own display, and to swapping out the graphics chip and expanding to more than 2GB of RAM.

It is unfortunate that the PM is limited to two hard drive bays, but that's still one more than the iMac. I mean, really, if you just add a 250GB SATA drive to the existing 80GB, are you really going to use more than 330GB?

The one thing I will give the iMac is the built in Airport and Bluetooth. That's a super nice option, and I can't believe it got it before the PM. However, I just added AE to my Powermac, and you can add a bluetooth dongle for $40, so it's not like the Powermac is stuck without wireless capabilities.

17. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

Agreed. iPods and Powermacs is all you see on the UK refurb store. Sucks :(

andy.

18. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Hey Runaway,

I did a bit of searching and found something you may be interested in check out http://www.nextbyte.com.au/ under their Fire Sale Report (Best Buys) they have some dual G5 Power Macs on special:

[​IMG]

* All prices in AUD$ including GST

Those are some amazing prices you might find something you like there.

HTH

19. Runaway thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the heads up... although I'm starting to be tempted to just wait for a Mac Mini Rev B... :D

20. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Um... you were thinking of getting a single processor G5 I find a place for you with the dual processor version at the same price, but now you want a Mac mini?

/me shakes head and walks away

21. Runaway thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, i don't think i need the power. It's overkill for what I need, and the Mini is super cheap. It's not a G5, but it's good enough for what I want to use it for.

22. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

Make sure you spend some time using a Mac mini before you purchase one. They're not all that quick...'adequate' would be a better way of describing it. The slower hard drive really takes a toll on performance.

risc, that pricing on the dual 1.8GHz G5 from NextByte is bloody fantastic. I should keep an eye on their fire sale pricing more often.

23. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

They just started getting competitive. Before the G5 iMac came out, these Firesales were a joke, most of the stock would be at practically new prices. :rolleyes: